New Users

sdmoodys

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought new droids today - got an awesome deal on them, and so far I'm happy with almost everything....almost...

Unfortunately, I use standalone Outlook, which connects to my ISP email and has my university email forwarded into it. I currently am not working anywhere that has Exchange. I have downloaded a calendar sync that seems to work pretty well.

My wife uses Smartermail, which is actually a really good service for her non-profit organization, but we're curious if there's any way either of our contacts could somehow be synced to our devices. Being an obstinate little cuss, I really want this to work for free, mostly just because I think it should on principle. Any help is appreciated, as always.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I use Exchange and sync my contacts and calendar without issue. I use the corporate email app. If you use Gmail either the stock Gmail app or K9 will work and sync your contacts. Another option is to import your contact into Gmail. Check the Gmail wiki for assistance.

Mike

OP
S

sdmoodys

Reaction score
Thanks for the greeting! Unfortunately, I don't use Exchange, or the corporate option (as I'm not currently part of a corporation), and I don't use GMail.

Any solutions for schmucks like us that simply don't want to enter hundreds of contacts manually, but don't have Exchange or Gmail?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What email do you use? K9, a free email app, handles most email providers.

OP
S

sdmoodys

Reaction score
I use a local ISP email, through my standalone Outlook. So far, the email is not having any issues, and the calendar function seems to work well. The only issue I'm having is the utter impossibility of syncing contacts between Outlook and my D2

Taegost

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of research into this and tested out a lot of programs and unfortunately, the best way to do it isn't free... But luckily it's only $14.95 or something like that. All the free apps I tried ended up corrupting my contact list in some form or another... The worst was when it duplicated each of my business contacts 100 times... *THAT* sucked, took forever to open my contact list, and if I had to scroll through to choose one... Ugh!
Check out this thread for more: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pending-submissions-questions/35728-outlook.html

pksmart

Reaction score
I use Soocial. It will sync contact info back and forth from Outlook <--> to soocial <--> to google. Its free for something like 250 contacts and 3 connections.