New Trojan Malware called GGTracker Mimics Android Market to Trick Users

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
malware_fake_market.png

Developer's over at Lookout software have uncovered a new malware for Android that is extra nasty and sneaky. It's called GGTracker, and it is a Trojan that mimics the look of the Android Market in order to trick users into installing it. It looks just like the picture above for now, so as you can see it's pretty deceptive. Here's a quote from the AndroidCentral article describing how you can get infected, and how to prevent it,
It happens when you click a malicious in-app advertisement -- your browser opens to the URL in the image, looking just like the Market, in hopes that you'll install the fake (in this case a Battery Saver app) application. Also spotted was a version that claims to be an adult app (com.space.sexypic). After you click to install it, you're directed to install via the download notification. For now, it doesn't appear that this one is in the Android Market -- which means it might stay around for a while.

There are three easy ways to prevent this:

• Disable sideloading completely (or use AT&T as your carrier -- zing!)
  • Use Lookout premium's Safe Browsing feature
  • Pay attention to what's happening. The Android Market will never open in your browser. You'll also never be prompted to manually download an app from the Android Market.
We thought it was important to keep you guys informed on this so you can help your less tech-savvy friends and relatives stay protected. It's getting like the "old west" out there in Android-land, but as long as we band together we can defeat the vile bandits.

Source: Android.net via AndroidCentral

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I remember the days when my apps and games had ads. Didnt like it one bit! Ad blocker FTW!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Adfree Android is the best lol. not to mention I never click ads anyways hahahaha.....

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
People actually click ads? Who knew :blink:

Sometimes when you have big clumsy fingers you inadvertently click one every now and again. Sideloading should be turned off and only turned on "as needed" anyway.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when my apps and games had ads. Didnt like it one bit! Ad blocker FTW!

lol...I forget sometimes on some sites or blogs when ppl complain about pop up ads on that site. I be wondering that they're talking about...then I remember why I dont see it. I dont think I even see Googe text ads.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Off subject but while you all were talking about it:

Adfree appears to be a program to download and update your host file, which as far as I understand in Android, is only going to block browser adds. Does host file apply to game ads too? Because all the games I play have ads.

Angry Birds Rio has ads still, with Adfree. If Adfree will prevent this, does anyone know the addresses to add to the hosts file manually?