New SD card not working

cydewaze

Reaction score
Good morning,

I recently picked up my first smartphone - a Motorola Droid 2, and decided right away to order a 16gb micro SD card for it. When the card arrived, I copied the contents from the original card to my PC, popped the new card into the Droid, formatted it on the Droid, and copied the contents of the original card from my PC back onto the phone.

I then copied my music collection to the phone, but I could never get the entire collection (6.6gb worth) copied over. I finally "pre-loaded" the card (I copied my music, pics, etc to the card via a reader) then installed it in the phone and booted it up. While this seemed to work at first, I get nothing but errors when I try to run apps.

The card is a Transcend class 6. Is there something else I need to do to get this card to work? Is there a better way of adding my contents? Should I not be copying the data from the old card to the new one?

bmcglone

Reaction score
I have been having a similar problem with a droid 1. I upgraded to a class 4 32gb. Phone reboots once everytime the SD card loads, folders with pictures and video are not showing up in the gallery.

I formatted the card and copied the files over with ROM Manager in recovery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
cydewaze

cydewaze

Reaction score
Ok, so I spent some time on the phone last night with Verizon, then some more time with Motorola. The hold time wasn't bad for either of them, but I did get passed around quite a bit. While no one was sure, the general consensus was that there was a compatibility issue.

The new card works in my music player.
The phone works fine with the old card.
Scanning the card returns no errors or problems.

So I made a mad dash out to my Verizon store and picked up a Sandisk 16gb card. Installed it when I got home and it seemed to work fine. I've now copied all my music to it and am in the process of loading vids, so it looks like the compatibility theory was correct.

The card from the Verizon store was a bit pricey, but 1) if it didn't work in their phone, I could have returned it, and 2) I get a 25% discount on accessories, so it was worth the extra cash. It also comes with a tiny card reader, which was pretty cool.

So my problem is solved!