New Samsung Galaxy S IV Will Come With Eye Tracking Software & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
eye-tracking.jpg

According to a New York Times blog, their source was able to confirm that the new Samsung Galaxy S IV will indeed be coming with eye-tracking software that will allow eye scrolling and eye pausing. This was something we reported back in January as a possibility, because of a Samsung trademark filing. Here's a quote from the article with a few more details,

The phone will track a user’s eyes to determine where to scroll, said a Samsung employee who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media. For example, when users read articles and their eyes reach the bottom of the page, the software will automatically scroll down to reveal the next paragraphs of text.

The source would not explain what technology was being used to track eye movements, nor did he say whether the feature would be demonstrated at the Galaxy S IV press conference, which will be held in New York on March 14. The Samsung employee said that over all, the software features of the new phone outweighed the importance of the hardware.

Despite the highlighted importance of the new software advancements, the article goes on to elaborate that the hardware will still be quite significant,

In an interview, Kevin Packingham, Samsung’s chief product officer, declined to share details about Samsung’s next phone. But he said he disagreed that the new hardware would be insignificant compared with the software, and over all, “It’s an amazing phone.”

Stay tuned for a follow-up rumor a bit later that supposedly confirms some of this info.

Source: NYTimes Blog

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
if your cross eyed.. run

I'm all for advanced technology.. lf it works then great

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I can expend 0.01 calories required to scroll down with my thumb, saving what I'd expect to be a major battery hog.

Sounds pretty slick, but I bet the first version will be more of a not-ready-for-primetime novelty.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
STuff like this doesn't even interest me. Does it anyone else? I get not everyone drops Samsung OS mods for AOSP like I and others do, but do other users who just pick it up at the store adn use it as is? Even before I rom'd my phone, I didn't like most of Samsung's features.

Limbwalker

Reaction score
very interesting

As a future S IV owner I look forward to checking out all the new innovations. It make take awhile for the bugs to get ironed out, but all good things have to start somewhere - -