new kernal made my Droid freak out

Jarvisoid

Reaction score
So I'm running CM6 rc and I wanted to overclock since this rom is defaulted to 600mhz. I downloaded P3Droids 1100kernal through rom manager then rebooted so the installation could continue. Once the new kernal was installed, my phone rebooted and the LED immediately went red, my battery icon went red and I had no service. The phone then shut it self off after a few seconds.

I was able to restore my latest backup so my phone is fine now but I want to know what went wrong. Is that what happens when a phone doesn't like a certain kernal? Should I have wiped cache and data before installing?

Thanks

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought the default on RC1 went up to 800.

And yes, your phone didn't like that kernel. Try another one.

OP
Jarvisoid

Jarvisoid

Reaction score
so I tried Bekits 1.1 kernal and my phone wouldn't go past the M logo. I had to do another restore. Then I tried P3Droids 1000 kernal and the red LED/red battery logo happened again.

What kernal are you guys using if you're running CM6rc? I'm about to switch back to Bugless if I can't get CM6 to overclock.

Any thoughts?

Arte Suave

Reaction score
The CM6 1.2 from by jdlfg from ROM manager and Chevy ULV 1.25 both worked for me. Others gave me the same problems you are having now.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
so I tried Bekits 1.1 kernal and my phone wouldn't go past the M logo. I had to do another restore. Then I tried P3Droids 1000 kernal and the red LED/red battery logo happened again.

What kernal are you guys using if you're running CM6rc? I'm about to switch back to Bugless if I can't get CM6 to overclock.

Any thoughts?

First, I would not install an alternate kernel. Install RC1 cleanly, let apps restore, etc. on the stock kernel.

If all goes well, make a nandroid backup and then try the jdlfg kernels specifically built for CM. They are on ROM Manager. Try 1 GHz before trying anything higher.

OP
Jarvisoid

Jarvisoid

Reaction score
The jdlfg 1ghz kernal worked! The rom seems much smoother now and I benchmarked 1154. Before the new kernal and setCPU I benchmarked just below 900.

Thanks for the help!

PDR447

Reaction score
just so people know what was causing this: you were using old kernels. CM6/froyo needs new kernels. the old ones cause these battery issues and boot freezes. make sure you guys are trying "approved" kernels. CM5 kernels will not work.

PDR447

Reaction score
it's in the rom. either pull it from the zip and manually flash it or just flash the whole roma again.

B

budmonster

Yeah I tried the P3Droids too and it made my phone lose battery when it was full, it wouldn't charge, etc. I had to nandroid backup and it went back to normal.

I thought P3Droids kernels where 2.2 kernels?

So all jdlfg kernels are compatible with CM6? What other kernels are, is their a list?

PDR447

Reaction score
Yeah I tried the P3Droids too and it made my phone lose battery when it was full, it wouldn't charge, etc. I had to nandroid backup and it went back to normal.

I thought P3Droids kernels where 2.2 kernels?

So all jdlfg kernels are compatible with CM6? What other kernels are, is their a list?

p3 has both. the ones in rom manager are still eclair though.

P3Droid Kernels