New Galaxy Nexus Artistic Rendering Mockup Pic and Possible Screen Size Extrapolation

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-nexus-render-new.jpg

Apparently, it has been confirmed that a talented graphic artist created the artistic rendering of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus pic that we posted last week. Here the artist added some more to it and created an even more interesting mockup. That's a pretty gorgeous phone, and his mockup should be pretty accurate based upon all the leaked info so far.

Also, a clever person over at Droid-Life has done a fair bit of extrapolation to determine the dimensions of the device. Here's a quote from their story with the description,
So yes folks, the screen is 4.65″, but during normal use there will only be 4.3″ or 4.5″ of usable screen – the rest of the space is for the on-screen buttons. The cool thing here, is that during video playback or games, the buttons will more than likely be hidden like on the XOOM and Honeycomb, giving you the full 720p experience.
You can check out some more pics that were used in the extrapolation process at the source link below.

Thanks for the tip, Liderc!

Source: Droid-Life and Tumblr

mach330

Reaction score
i'm worried about the height now. Looks like it might be 5.26" and the bionic is 5". It's good that the screen size is bigger with 4.65" by getting rid of soft keys, but being quarter of an inch taller sux. I wish it was the same as bionic. we'll see how it actually feels in real life. if not....droid razr here i come.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the shape either. Of course, I don't care for thin phones to begin with, let alone curved. Thin phones are a problem to the extent that my past iPhone 4 and my current Bionic both live in an Otterbox Defender to add heft as well as protection.

I think they should have made the Prime a 1/2" thick brick. With battery sized appropriately for form-factor. Going back to the old "brick" design is the only way we are going to see acceptable battery life in the future, the way phone tech is outrunning battery tech.

I just don't get why everything out there has to be so damn "thin and light". I am not "thin and light" - and my phone shouldn't be, either. I can manage to carry around 6oz just fine, that you very much. Has the general population become so weak physically that 6oz is too much of a burden to lug around?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm worried about the height now. Looks like it might be 5.26" and the bionic is 5". It's good that the screen size is bigger with 4.65" by getting rid of soft keys, but being quarter of an inch taller sux. I wish it was the same as bionic. we'll see how it actually feels in real life. if not....droid razr here i come.

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with just getting a Bionic? I bought one, and couldn't be happier. It's not perfect, no phone is. Neither the Prime nor the Razr will be perfect, either. Mark my words.

I only ask because I see so many threads about the Prime/Razr out there implying that the Bionic isn't even an option.

mach330

Reaction score

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with just getting a Bionic? I bought one, and couldn't be happier. It's not perfect, no phone is. Neither the Prime nor the Razr will be perfect, either. Mark my words.

I only ask because I see so many threads about the Prime/Razr out there implying that the Bionic isn't even an option.

Agree... whenever a new phone is released, and you buy it, consider yourself a beta tester.

mach330

Reaction score

for me it was the screen. i tried to so hard to not let it bother me, but i couldn't. don't get me wrong, if the prime is too big, then i'll decide on the razr or back to the bionic or even the vigor. i didn't even make the vigor an option as htc's battery issues that i've seen in the past. even the charging (take out and plug back in all the time annoyed me).

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the shape either. Of course, I don't care for thin phones to begin with, let alone curved. Thin phones are a problem to the extent that my past iPhone 4 and my current Bionic both live in an Otterbox Defender to add heft as well as protection.

I think they should have made the Prime a 1/2" thick brick. With battery sized appropriately for form-factor. Going back to the old "brick" design is the only way we are going to see acceptable battery life in the future, the way phone tech is outrunning battery tech.

I just don't get why everything out there has to be so damn "thin and light". I am not "thin and light" - and my phone shouldn't be, either. I can manage to carry around 6oz just fine, that you very much. Has the general population become so weak physically that 6oz is too much of a burden to lug around?
Im not crazy about the thin phones either,but it is what it is.Thats y they make otter box 2 give it some thickness.Now the bionic-screen and camera,thats y i dont have a bionic.But the best built phone on the market-shes a brick house(ojays style).

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
for me it was the screen. i tried to so hard to not let it bother me, but i couldn't. don't get me wrong, if the prime is too big, then i'll decide on the razr or back to the bionic or even the vigor. i didn't even make the vigor an option as htc's battery issues that i've seen in the past. even the charging (take out and plug back in all the time annoyed me).
+1 on the screen,and ill throw n the camera for good measure.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

For me, the screen was a bit of a trade off; i'll admit. But it truly shines (if you will excuse the pun) at its intended use: extreme readability in brightly lit environments. I think in the end, pentile will be a technology much like DLP - you either love it or hate it. Unlike DLP (which gives me a headache), Pentile has grown on me.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 on the screen,and ill throw n the camera for good measure.

Maybe, but I am a firm believer that until phones start LOOKING like digital cameras (like some of the more exotic superzoom camera phones from Korea), they will not be an acceptable substitute for a true digital camera.

A phone cam will always be somewhat of a disappointment.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agree... whenever a new phone is released, and you buy it, consider yourself a beta tester.

*LOL* Like those poor souls who bought Blackberry 9530 Storms at launch and were stuck with Blackberry OS v4.7.0.65? Which was in NO way ready for release.

The 4.7.0.75 OS that immediately followed (and we were stuck with for months) wasn't much better, at all. But at least it could go a couple of hours without pulling the battery.

EDIT: Remember, this is the Storm that was supposed to be the best thing in touch screen phones. The iPhone killer. Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera. Not trying to imply that the Nexus will be another Storm; but hey, it's a whole new OS revision. And it's supposed to be the "killer" device. How often has the "killer" device been a disappointment?

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I am a firm believer that until phones start LOOKING like digital cameras (like some of the more exotic superzoom camera phones from Korea), they will not be an acceptable substitute for a true digital camera.

A phone cam will always be somewhat of a disappointment.
The iPhone has a good camera and the one on the 4S is supposed to be even better. I think we are stating to get to that point. Apple puts good cameras on their phones and so do Samsung and Sony. Everyone else needs to catch up.

But on a side note, Droid-Life is hearing that the Galaxy Nexus will be released November 3rd now. Seems like it would be a better release than Octover 27.