New D2G soak test

SteveIrv

Reaction score
I got the e-mail too........one of the first things in the process is to sign a non-disclosure form, so......

Haven't heard any more from them yet, don't know how/if being part of a GB "soak test" will work for me since I've already installed the GB leak on both of our D2G's......

We'll find out though, and not be able to tell anyone :)

FatJim

Reaction score
I rooted my d2g using z4root but never installed a rom. Have since uprooted using z4root. Is there a need to sbf before I get the soak test update? Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

captain howdy

Reaction score
I rooted my d2g using z4root but never installed a rom. Have since uprooted using z4root. Is there a need to sbf before I get the soak test update? Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks.

If all you have done is z4root, you just need to un-root and you should be fine
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

FatJim

Reaction score

Unrooted. Not uprooted.

And modify doesn't work?

silver6054

Reaction score
If all you have done is z4root, you just need to un-root and you should be fine
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Yes, but just to be complete, apart from using ROMs, the other issue is:

Did you change any system files, e.g. to remove bloat. You need to be root to do this, and examples include running the bloatware removal script in this forum, using Titanium Backup to freeze things, renaming system files using Root Explorer or similar. Or worse, did you actually delete system files.

If you ran the script, used TB etc, you can manually reverse these steps (if you have a record of what you did!). If you deleted some system files, then you will need to SBF to ensure the OTA update will work.

But as Captain Howdy says, if ALL you did is run Z4root, you should be OK (although we may then ask why did you want root!)

FatJim

Reaction score
Never brave enough to install a rom. I did remove some bloatware. I guess I should sbf. Good information. Didn't mean to hijack.

Edit: SBF done!

Last edited:

warped1987

Reaction score
I rooted with Z4 to have things like Drocap2, GO Launcher stuff, and did ADW and the other one to change my phones themes. I also did a Bloat Freezer a few times but have been unfrozen for a while. I did Android Assistant for a while, and do a few other GO Launcher things that require Root. So not everyone roots to get ROMs and all that stuff. I can just un-root my phone and be ready for the OTA I guess because I didn't change anything around

captain howdy

Reaction score
Yea I rooted for the same reasons. Im not sure about the ota gingerbread. I don't like the fact that it can't be rooted after install. Think I will refrain from the ota for awhile and see what people think, if most of the news is bad I believe I will install the rooted leaked version. I do not like not having control of my phone.

silver6054

Reaction score
Yea I rooted for the same reasons. Im not sure about the ota gingerbread. I don't like the fact that it can't be rooted after install. Think I will refrain from the ota for awhile and see what people think, if most of the news is bad I believe I will install the rooted leaked version. I do not like not having control of my phone.

As of a few days ago, GB CAN be rooted after install, http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3714

Last edited:

William_04_x

Reaction score
How will you guys know that you've received the soak test update to your phones?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
It looks like a regular OTA update.

The phone tells you that “a software update is ready for downloading”.

warped1987

Reaction score
Idk, I was hoping to get a response from them letting me know I've been chosen for the soak test, or even that I registered with the right info. I kinda want to know when I should un-root