New APP, AppBrain - New way to work the APP Market

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems only fair to bump this thread. I checked AppBrain this afternoon and found that xScope (one of my favorite apps) is now correctly listed for the Droid. This relates to my complaint above that the only apps listed were those for versions of the Android O/S prior to 2.0. It appears that AppBrain has resolved that problem.

My wife is going to get a Droid in the next few days and I'm tasked with setting it up for her. That task will be significantly simplified by using AppBrain to select from the apps I already have on my phone and putting them into an "install queue" for my wife's phone.

The only weakness (understandable) in AppBrain is that when syncing with my phone it does not pick up applications that have been downloaded from sources other than the Market. Since I have only a couple of those, however, it's not a dealbreaker.

Otherwise, as long as one is not overly concerned about making the list of one's apps somewhere out in the internet cloud, it's an excellent app for keeping track of what's on your phone and searching for new applications.

Kudos to the folks from AppBrain for resolving the limitation pointed out earlier.

ldimick

Reaction score
When I flashed my Droid this weekend I found that I lost a lot of the apps I had downloaded form market. I figured no big deal because I have Appbrain. Well, appbrain syncs from the phone to their site so their site showed that I had virtually noone of my apps. So what I did was after loading my apps I selected them all from Appbrain and then saved the installed list to another list. This way if I lose all of my apps I have a secondary list that I can quickly reinstall from.

uwe

Reaction score
The idea is a good one. I appreciate having computer access to the market. However, I discovered quickly that the only apps listed (and picked up from my phone) are those specifically designed for Android o/s version 1.5-1.6; not for 2.0/2.1.

For example, there is no listing for xScope other than the version designed for the Eris and other 1.6 devices.

That is a very significant problem and as long as it exists, it should be announced on your website.

We are happy to announce that we now also list apps which are for Android 2.0/2.1, for example xScope

Soon we will also show this android version information on the app pages and allow you to filter by it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The idea is a good one. I appreciate having computer access to the market. However, I discovered quickly that the only apps listed (and picked up from my phone) are those specifically designed for Android o/s version 1.5-1.6; not for 2.0/2.1.

For example, there is no listing for xScope other than the version designed for the Eris and other 1.6 devices.

That is a very significant problem and as long as it exists, it should be announced on your website.

We are happy to announce that we now also list apps which are for Android 2.0/2.1, for example xScope

Soon we will also show this android version information on the app pages and allow you to filter by it.

You folks are doing a fine job. I used AppBrain to configure my wife's new Droid last week by selecting 35 apps for her from the 125 I had on my Droid. It was far simpler than it would otherwise have been. Set them up on her account and installed them one by one. It was a snap to keep track of what I had downloaded and what was left.

Thanks very much.

FunkUSMCRet

Reaction score
:)

Just want to say I like Brainapp but today it suddenly and repeatedly tells me I need to install the app on my phone (Droid X). It's been working for the past 2 days. I haven't changed anything but I did uninstall and reinstall both Brainapp and the quick installer thingy.... any suggestions might help.

Another thing I would love to see is categories: say apps for particular phones and what os, also when you go into the categories (say productivity, a menu drop down at the top for highest rating, most downloaded, new etc). Unless I missed that.

GREAT site though and look forward to more improvements.

UPDATE: Working fine again... maybe a server issue?

FunkUSMCRet

Reaction score
"My Apps" not showing...

I have only once been able to see what apps I have installed on my Droid X. If this feature worked, it would be a great way to share the apps I think my son or friends could browse over... Any reason it doesn't work? I even tried to add them manually and they're still not showing.

Thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It's working fine on my X....Might of been a server issue.

FunkUSMCRet

Reaction score

Yeah, it worked once but I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc and still no go... wish it would work as I'm giving my son Droid X for his graduation and would love to be able to just send him a link to the apps I found useful. Guess, for now I'll just make a list... and hope it shows before I get his phone. :)

FunkUSMCRet

Reaction score

Yeah, it worked once but I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc and still no go... wish it would work as I'm giving my son Droid X for his graduation and would love to be able to just send him a link to the apps I found useful. Guess, for now I'll just make a list... and hope it shows before I get his phone. :)

OK, problem fixed... I was using Safari and it wasn't showing. Viewed via Firefox and all my apps are there! Problem solved. Just curious why it's not working on Safari.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
The sync works great for me, and the search, but on Froyo (BB 0.4) the fast web installs only complete about 1 out of 10 times. I usually queue them up then later go to the regular market and cancel and restart the installs.