New APP, AppBrain - New way to work the APP Market

Technoman

Reaction score
I did a search, and I didn't find anything in regards to this APP....

As title states, I have found information about a new APP that may help with some of the users of the forum looking for a new way to deal with the APP Market.

Link below:
AppBrain Market Sync v1.0 Application for Android | Tools

AppBrain is a companion APP for Android that links a new way for you to find updates, add new APPs, and such.

There is a companion web site at Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain
Once you join (Google ID and password) you can add applications from the web site that will be available for install under your Android "APPBrain" application. It tracks what is installed (both at the web site and on your device). Looks like what a lot of people have been asking for.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I installed it and signed up at their website. I played around a little and it seems to be a much easier way to surf through and learn about apps. It's not earth shaking, but nice. I'll fool with it some more tomorrow.

OP
T

Technoman

Reaction score
I installed it and signed up at their website. I played around a little and it seems to be a much easier way to surf through and learn about apps. It's not earth shaking, but nice. I'll fool with it some more tomorrow.

It's a start toward what people want, and I would think could be customized toward what people are asking for. Sorting by rating, Free, or paid.

It will let you sort by name, and category.

There does seem to be a timer or something once you tag something on the website. It may have been something that I did that caused it to not show after I tagged it on the website. A second tag at the web, and a sync on the Droid had the APP ready to install.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I signed up and got the app, but I haven't been able to sign in. I keep getting an error message that their site isn't working.

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Signed up and it works, but when selecting an app to install from the website all it does is put a quick link to it on the market for my phone.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Signed up and it works, but when selecting an app to install from the website all it does is put a quick link to it on the market for my phone.

Oh, I thought it would set it up and you'd be getting the app itself.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Even though there is a respectable developer behind this, I don't know that it's a good idea to trust any third party with your Google account credentials.

uwe

Reaction score
Even though there is a respectable developer behind this, I don't know that it's a good idea to trust any third party with your Google account credentials.

Hi, I am one of the AppBrain developers. I would like to comment on the concern about the Google credentials.
The users password is never shared with AppBrain. It is just between the user and Google.

You will notice that we redirect to a google.com URL for the signin, and then it redirects back.

I hope you enjoy using AppBrain. Let me know if you have any feature requests!

ldimick

Reaction score
It would be really cool if the available updates were automatically pushed to the action side of the app. Right now I have to use Market or wait for the notifications to appear on my pone. But it is a huge step in the right direction. The Brainapp search is the best of the available ones. It would be nice to be able to see all of the TOP APPS together. They are identified as such but I have not seen a way to get the entire list.

On my iPhone i used an app called Sniper. And what it did was allow me to select certain apps that I wanted to keep an eye on so that if the price dropped I would be notified of a change. It also allowed me to set thresholds on the drop before notification. For example, the MLB at bat app is $14,99 right now. That is a bit steep TO ME. I would like to be able to watch the price and be notified if it drops below $10. If it drops to $13.99 I don't want a notification because that is still too steep.

iPhone also has an app that let's you see what is new in the last 24 and 48 hours. That would be useful. and should be easy to implement.

You might also consider adding a feature like Amazon.com that shows what apps other users have bought that purchased a particular app.

I'm sure I will have other ideas but I think you guys are definitely going the right direction.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hi, I am one of the AppBrain developers. I would like to comment on the concern about the Google credentials.
The users password is never shared with AppBrain. It is just between the user and Google.

You will notice that we redirect to a google.com URL for the signin, and then it redirects back.

The idea is a good one. I appreciate having computer access to the market. However, I discovered quickly that the only apps listed (and picked up from my phone) are those specifically designed for Android o/s version 1.5-1.6; not for 2.0/2.1.

For example, there is no listing for xScope other than the version designed for the Eris and other 1.6 devices.

That is a very significant problem and as long as it exists, it should be announced on your website.

OP
T

Technoman

Reaction score

UWE - Could you get some filters added to the site? It would be so nice to filter APP's by ratings, and other additional categories.

uwe

Reaction score
The idea is a good one. I appreciate having computer access to the market. However, I discovered quickly that the only apps listed (and picked up from my phone) are those specifically designed for Android o/s version 1.5-1.6; not for 2.0/2.1.

For example, there is no listing for xScope other than the version designed for the Eris and other 1.6 devices.

That is a very significant problem and as long as it exists, it should be announced on your website.

I agree. We are working very hard on getting all the apps on AppBrain.com
It is announced in the FAQ of the website.

uwe

Reaction score
It would be really cool if the available updates were automatically pushed to the action side of the app. Right now I have to use Market or wait for the notifications to appear on my pone. But it is a huge step in the right direction. The Brainapp search is the best of the available ones. It would be nice to be able to see all of the TOP APPS together. They are identified as such but I have not seen a way to get the entire list.

On my iPhone i used an app called Sniper. And what it did was allow me to select certain apps that I wanted to keep an eye on so that if the price dropped I would be notified of a change. It also allowed me to set thresholds on the drop before notification. For example, the MLB at bat app is $14,99 right now. That is a bit steep TO ME. I would like to be able to watch the price and be notified if it drops below $10. If it drops to $13.99 I don't want a notification because that is still too steep.

iPhone also has an app that let's you see what is new in the last 24 and 48 hours. That would be useful. and should be easy to implement.

You might also consider adding a feature like Amazon.com that shows what apps other users have bought that purchased a particular app.

I'm sure I will have other ideas but I think you guys are definitely going the right direction.

Thanks for your suggestions. We will look into it. For now there is a filter option "Price Drop", which shows apps with a price drop in the last week.
Eg. Multimedia apps for Android

uwe

Reaction score
UWE - Could you get some filters added to the site? It would be so nice to filter APP's by ratings, and other additional categories.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are planning to add more filters, but nothing to announce yet.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree. We are working very hard on getting all the apps on AppBrain.com
It is announced in the FAQ of the website.

Thanks, Uwe. Unfortunately, I think the FAQ response is misleading. It reads...

"...For now, AppBrain only lists applications available in the US that are available for Android version 1.6 and up...."

What is actually the case is that AppBrain lists apps that are available for version 1.6, period. As noted above, AppBrain includes the release of xScope suitable for android version 1.6 only, but fails to include the version for 2.0/2.1. If it included only apps "for Android version 1.6 and up," I assume it would exclude the xScope for the Eris, as well.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here and I applaud your efforts to provide a user-friendly view of the Market from the internet, but I was the under the initial impression that your "My Apps" tab provides a comprehensive view of the apps on my phone, very useful functionality in case I have to rebuild a Droid or simply to track how much I've spent on apps.

Until it can include all my apps, however, it fails in that regard.