1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New APP, AppBrain - New way to work the APP Market

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Technoman, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Technoman

Technoman New Member

I did a search, and I didn't find anything in regards to this APP....

As title states, I have found information about a new APP that may help with some of the users of the forum looking for a new way to deal with the APP Market.

Link below:
    AppBrain Market Sync v1.0 Application for Android | Tools

AppBrain is a companion APP for Android that links a new way for you to find updates, add new APPs, and such.

There is a companion web site at Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain
    Once you join (Google ID and password) you can add applications from the web site that will be available for install under your Android "APPBrain" application. It tracks what is installed (both at the web site and on your device). Looks like what a lot of people have been asking for.
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I installed it and signed up at their website. I played around a little and it seems to be a much easier way to surf through and learn about apps. It's not earth shaking, but nice. I'll fool with it some more tomorrow.
  3. Technoman

Technoman New Member

It's a start toward what people want, and I would think could be customized toward what people are asking for. Sorting by rating, Free, or paid.

It will let you sort by name, and category.

There does seem to be a timer or something once you tag something on the website. It may have been something that I did that caused it to not show after I tagged it on the website. A second tag at the web, and a sync on the Droid had the APP ready to install.
  4. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I signed up and got the app, but I haven't been able to sign in. I keep getting an error message that their site isn't working.
  5. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Signed up and it works, but when selecting an app to install from the website all it does is put a quick link to it on the market for my phone.
  6. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Oh, I thought it would set it up and you'd be getting the app itself.
  7. Sleeve

Sleeve New Member

Even though there is a respectable developer behind this, I don't know that it's a good idea to trust any third party with your Google account credentials.
  8. uwe

uwe New Member

Hi, I am one of the AppBrain developers. I would like to comment on the concern about the Google credentials.
    The users password is never shared with AppBrain. It is just between the user and Google.

You will notice that we redirect to a google.com URL for the signin, and then it redirects back.

I hope you enjoy using AppBrain. Let me know if you have any feature requests!
  9. ldimick

ldimick New Member

It would be really cool if the available updates were automatically pushed to the action side of the app. Right now I have to use Market or wait for the notifications to appear on my pone. But it is a huge step in the right direction. The Brainapp search is the best of the available ones. It would be nice to be able to see all of the TOP APPS together. They are identified as such but I have not seen a way to get the entire list.

On my iPhone i used an app called Sniper. And what it did was allow me to select certain apps that I wanted to keep an eye on so that if the price dropped I would be notified of a change. It also allowed me to set thresholds on the drop before notification. For example, the MLB at bat app is $14,99 right now. That is a bit steep TO ME. I would like to be able to watch the price and be notified if it drops below $10. If it drops to $13.99 I don't want a notification because that is still too steep.

iPhone also has an app that let's you see what is new in the last 24 and 48 hours. That would be useful. and should be easy to implement.

You might also consider adding a feature like Amazon.com that shows what apps other users have bought that purchased a particular app.

I'm sure I will have other ideas but I think you guys are definitely going the right direction.
  10. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

The idea is a good one. I appreciate having computer access to the market. However, I discovered quickly that the only apps listed (and picked up from my phone) are those specifically designed for Android o/s version 1.5-1.6; not for 2.0/2.1.

For example, there is no listing for xScope other than the version designed for the Eris and other 1.6 devices.

That is a very significant problem and as long as it exists, it should be announced on your website.
  11. Technoman

Technoman New Member

UWE - Could you get some filters added to the site? It would be so nice to filter APP's by ratings, and other additional categories.
  12. uwe

uwe New Member

I agree. We are working very hard on getting all the apps on AppBrain.com
    It is announced in the FAQ of the website.
  13. uwe

uwe New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. We will look into it. For now there is a filter option "Price Drop", which shows apps with a price drop in the last week.
    Eg. Multimedia apps for Android
  14. uwe

uwe New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. We are planning to add more filters, but nothing to announce yet.
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Thanks, Uwe. Unfortunately, I think the FAQ response is misleading. It reads...

"...For now, AppBrain only lists applications available in the US that are available for Android version 1.6 and up...."

What is actually the case is that AppBrain lists apps that are available for version 1.6, period. As noted above, AppBrain includes the release of xScope suitable for android version 1.6 only, but fails to include the version for 2.0/2.1. If it included only apps "for Android version 1.6 and up," I assume it would exclude the xScope for the Eris, as well.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here and I applaud your efforts to provide a user-friendly view of the Market from the internet, but I was the under the initial impression that your "My Apps" tab provides a comprehensive view of the apps on my phone, very useful functionality in case I have to rebuild a Droid or simply to track how much I've spent on apps.

Until it can include all my apps, however, it fails in that regard.
  16. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Seems only fair to bump this thread. I checked AppBrain this afternoon and found that xScope (one of my favorite apps) is now correctly listed for the Droid. This relates to my complaint above that the only apps listed were those for versions of the Android O/S prior to 2.0. It appears that AppBrain has resolved that problem.

My wife is going to get a Droid in the next few days and I'm tasked with setting it up for her. That task will be significantly simplified by using AppBrain to select from the apps I already have on my phone and putting them into an "install queue" for my wife's phone.

The only weakness (understandable) in AppBrain is that when syncing with my phone it does not pick up applications that have been downloaded from sources other than the Market. Since I have only a couple of those, however, it's not a dealbreaker.

Otherwise, as long as one is not overly concerned about making the list of one's apps somewhere out in the internet cloud, it's an excellent app for keeping track of what's on your phone and searching for new applications.

Kudos to the folks from AppBrain for resolving the limitation pointed out earlier.
  17. ldimick

ldimick New Member

When I flashed my Droid this weekend I found that I lost a lot of the apps I had downloaded form market. I figured no big deal because I have Appbrain. Well, appbrain syncs from the phone to their site so their site showed that I had virtually noone of my apps. So what I did was after loading my apps I selected them all from Appbrain and then saved the installed list to another list. This way if I lose all of my apps I have a secondary list that I can quickly reinstall from.
  18. uwe

uwe New Member

We are happy to announce that we now also list apps which are for Android 2.0/2.1, for example xScope

Soon we will also show this android version information on the app pages and allow you to filter by it.
  19. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

You folks are doing a fine job. I used AppBrain to configure my wife's new Droid last week by selecting 35 apps for her from the 125 I had on my Droid. It was far simpler than it would otherwise have been. Set them up on her account and installed them one by one. It was a snap to keep track of what I had downloaded and what was left.

Thanks very much.
  20. FunkUSMCRet

FunkUSMCRet New Member

:)

Just want to say I like Brainapp but today it suddenly and repeatedly tells me I need to install the app on my phone (Droid X). It's been working for the past 2 days. I haven't changed anything but I did uninstall and reinstall both Brainapp and the quick installer thingy.... any suggestions might help.

Another thing I would love to see is categories: say apps for particular phones and what os, also when you go into the categories (say productivity, a menu drop down at the top for highest rating, most downloaded, new etc). Unless I missed that.

GREAT site though and look forward to more improvements.

UPDATE: Working fine again... maybe a server issue?