New A Good Camera App.. to take pics quicker

slinky

Reaction score
Slinky, you're not exactly comparing apples to apples, when one is altered and the other is not. They were also taken from different positions, which changes the light entering the aperture.

That bird looks like it has a smily face. :biggrin:

Neither picture is altered except reducing the resolution to fit here. Agreed on the comparison shots, some of which I have but this was the best to show what I see consistently here for now. I'll try to post them side by side next time.

Perhaps someone can explain why the file size of Vignette is so much larger. I don't know what else it packs in there but each 5MP photo is at least twice the size of the stock photo, if not more. BTW, it also has silent mode and an autotimer.

I tried Pro Zoom. Consistently I would get noise and also found the interface much more awkward. The number of filters in Vignette and modifications is astounding. I'm not saying Pro Zoom isn't a good program but I now understand why people believe Vignette takes the best photos you can out of this camera. Some of my stock photos do look good but only with the best of circumstances.

slinky

Reaction score
See if you can tell the difference between these photos. Unfortunately I had to lower resolution and make a jpeg out of them, very high quality. Difference viewing them isn't that great a deal but Vignette's maximum pictures is is literally 4+ times as large. Standard camera photo is 900kb and Vignette's is 4MB!!! I'm not sure if this is all wasted space or good reason for it. The indoor pictures (with flash) may be more useful.

Stock is a and Vignette is aa. I will also include samples without jpg compression taking a piece of the photo and making a png out of it, 24 bit. Will have another with a van in both pictures for comparison, wone without van is stock.)

Last edited:

slinky

Reaction score
Set number two, same deal. Reduced to 1200 width and saved as very good quality jpeg.

slinky

Reaction score
Highest quality jpeg saving, png too large. Difficult to see difference. Not sure either camera applications makes an appreciable difference although not sure why Vignette's highest setting adds 4 times or more the file size and significant processing time (done in background.)

Looking at the pictures, the stock camera does a good job in brighter lights it seems. Most of my Vignette pictures are a bit too bright but the stock gets it right. Difficult to say if this is consistent because of sunlight variables. Judge for yourself.

My gut feeling is that none of these camera applications may make a difference and they may all just be processing the exact same photo and adding some effect in the software. I will write the Vignette people to ask why their software takes up so much more space and time to process. Visually it's difficult to see a good difference between the two, despite file size. You can decide.

slinky

Reaction score
Using both Vignette and stock camera, most indoor pictures are terrible. It has nothing to do with the resolution. A rubber floor mat for practicing gymnastics looked terrible, grainy and the overall picture slightly out of focus.

My thought is that there is a focus issue on the Droid - I'm not sure if software will change this. I'm not sure if there is enough of an API for third party developers to create refined features like controlling the focus of the camera in the software like it is on the iPhone where you can choose an area on screen for the camera to set the focus. I'm guessing if this was possible, we'd see it. I sent of a letter to the developers of Vignette - perhaps they will shed light on some of the above questions.