Need to retrieve Gmail password from Droid - read on...

harrisd1

Reaction score
I have forgotten my Gmail account password. The only way I can access my account is through my Droid which must have it saved. Does anyone know how to retrieve my saved Gmail password from my Droid?

Gmail does not seem to have a human being that I can talk to about this...
My Gmail security question is fouled up with the question and the answer in the question field?!?! ( only I could manage to do that...)

Any help would be appreciated :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have forgotten my Gmail account password. The only way I can access my account is through my Droid which must have it saved. Does anyone know how to retrieve my saved Gmail password from my Droid?

Gmail does not seem to have a human being that I can talk to about this...
My Gmail security question is fouled up with the question and the answer in the question field?!?! ( only I could manage to do that...)

Any help would be appreciated :)

:welcome: to the Droid Forum.

Apparently your Droid didn't save your password. You probably either accidentally or removed the save password option off your browser.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only way you can do it is through Google on line.

Nobody is going to be able to help you with this one. Sorry. About the only thing you can do is to sign up for a new account. That means of course that you will lose any paid apps you have.

OP
harrisd1

harrisd1

Reaction score
Actually, I CAN send and receive on my Gmail account with my Droid, but ONLY my Droid. I cannot access my account from my laptop or desktop pc's.
I cannot change the password on the Gmail account.
But, fortunately, I can still use my Droid, so it DOES have the correct password saved.... but where? And will it be in clear text?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, I CAN send and receive on my Gmail account with my Droid, but ONLY my Droid. I cannot access my account from my laptop or desktop pc's.
But, fortunately, I can still use my Droid, so it DOES have the correct password saved.... but where? And will it be in clear text?

Can you access your gmail account on your droid by going to www.gmail.com and logging in? Or are you talking about just your gmail icon?

Either way I don't see how you can recover it, unless you are very good with linux and can figure out a command to input into Terminal Emulator that would give it to you.

And that's just a far fetched guess.

baniels

Reaction score
It isn't clear whether you have an "active" login to your gmail account from the droid browser in addition to the Gmail app. In either case, you cannot change your password without entering in your current one.

As far as seeing the password saved on the Droid for use with the Gmail app and marketplace, it is not likely an easy task. I wouldn't know where to start.

SGTiger

Reaction score

You can always go here to recover the password which should help unless you "found" this Droid:

I forgot my password - Gmail Help

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You can always go here to recover the password which should help unless you "found" this Droid:

He says he had some problem answering the question.

Think something else is going on?

ACalcutt

Reaction score
Most likely if the password is stored its not actually the password being stored but some hash of the password. I doubt you will be able to do anything but use the official passsword reset tools or make a post in the gmail help foums (Gmail Help)

SGTiger

Reaction score

He says he had some problem answering the question.

Think something else is going on?

When I go to that link, it doesn't ask me a security question. It just sends a link to the secondary email address on record which allows me to enter a new password.