Need to re-log in to Google accounts every time I lose my data connection

ded114

Reaction score
I have a Verizon Motorola Droid Maxx running stock 4.4. I sync with my primary gmail account and also with my university email/google apps account. Over the past few weeks I've had the recurring problem that whenever the device loses its 4G connection for any extended length of time, it loses its authentication credentials for both of these google accounts and requires me to log in again. This seems to occur both when I connect to wifi or when I go somewhere where I lose cell signal. I get an "Account Action Required" notification, which takes me to the message "Couldn't sign in - You typed an incorrect password or your account has changed." When I reenter my password, I receive another error "Couldn't sign in - To access your account, you must sign in on the web." From there I can enter my information in the browser window it opens and usually successfully regain account access.

I use 2-step verification on my primary gmail account. I tried setting up this phone with an app-specific password as I had done on a previous android device, but it did not seem to have any effect on the problem. Googling around I haven't found any other cases of people reporting this issue.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

doogald

Reaction score
I've seen it reported in other places, but I haven't seen a solution. At this point, if I were you, I'd back things up, do a factory data reset, and rebuild the phone from scratch. I've had 4.4 for a while and never saw this error. I did do an FDR after about 10 days of the update, but I never saw it before, either. I have 2 factor authentication for two Google accounts and use site-specific passphrases and both are working fine for me.

OP
D

ded114

Reaction score
I've seen it reported in other places, but I haven't seen a solution. At this point, if I were you, I'd back things up, do a factory data reset, and rebuild the phone from scratch. I've had 4.4 for a while and never saw this error. I did do an FDR after about 10 days of the update, but I never saw it before, either. I have 2 factor authentication for two Google accounts and use site-specific passphrases and both are working fine for me.

Hmm okay, thanks. If the problem persists I'll give that a shot

Chass

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Unfortunately for me, I carry my phone in my pocket and it will often lose reception walking around my property. Every single time this happens, I have to sign back in to Google. I am amazed that Google has screwed this sign in up so bad that it can't remember the dang password for 60 seconds! Why not keep the password? Google is doing some great things but just like every company, when they get bigger . . . they start screwing up bigger.

Chass
ct

doogald

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Unfortunately for me, I carry my phone in my pocket and it will often lose reception walking around my property. Every single time this happens, I have to sign back in to Google. I am amazed that Google has screwed this sign in up so bad that it can't remember the dang password for 60 seconds! Why not keep the password? Google is doing some great things but just like every company, when they get bigger . . . they start screwing up bigger.

I'm not sure if it was a Google issue or a bug by Motorola, but Motorola has acknowledged it, said that the next OTA update will fix the problem, and said that they were holding the update until 4.4.3 was released, which happened this week, so the droids would go straight to 4.4.3 rather than have two updates (4.4.2 and then 4.4.3). So, hopefully, we're about 4 to 6 weeks from an update, finally.