Need help with account sync settings please!

kimiix17

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Desire 626
I recently changed phones from the HTC Desire 510 to the HTC Desire 626, and am having trouble with the Accounts & Sync settings.
When I go to add account, there is no facebook option even though I have the app, am logged in on the app, and have sync enabled on the app.
However, what is there is the option to link my messenger app, but I'm having a problem with that too.
I have the messenger app linked with sync turned on, specifically I enabled contact sync in the app settings, but when I go into accounts & sync and tap on the messenger icon, which is enabled, it doesn't show anything to be synced. It should be showing "Contacts" with a check box, but instead there's nothing.
I really just want to sync facebook contact photos, without installing an special app to do it.
I know I had this issue before on another phone but was able to fix it, but I can't remember how I did, and when searching online I can only find old articles that are outdated due to all the app updates over the years.
Please help?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, the ability to sync contacts using the official Facebook apps has been dead for a long time. I know Samsung phones have the option to add your Facebook account in the Accounts & Sync settings, but that's on their end, not Android or Facebook's.

While my current phone (Pixel XL) was made by htc, I'm not familiar with their special tweaks to the system.

I know you said you don't want to install a third-party app, but I've been very happy with Sync.me (Sync.ME – Caller ID & Block - Android Apps on Google Play). It does exactly what you want and will also do a reverse lookup when you get an unknown call to try and let you know who's calling.

It's got lots of options and will even sync birthdays and etc. from Facebook and other social network sites. I've got it setup to sync daily while connected to wifi and charging, so it syncs my contacts while I sleep.

Maybe someone more familiar with htc will have better advice without installing another app, but if you have to, I highly recommend that one.

OP
kimiix17

kimiix17

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Desire 626
Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, the ability to sync contacts using the official Facebook apps has been dead for a long time. I know Samsung phones have the option to add your Facebook account in the Accounts & Sync settings, but that's on their end, not Android or Facebook's.

While my current phone (Pixel XL) was made by htc, I'm not familiar with their special tweaks to the system.

I know you said you don't want to install a third-party app, but I've been very happy with Sync.me (Sync.ME – Caller ID & Block - Android Apps on Google Play). It does exactly what you want and will also do a reverse lookup when you get an unknown call to try and let you know who's calling.

It's got lots of options and will even sync birthdays and etc. from Facebook and other social network sites. I've got it setup to sync daily while connected to wifi and charging, so it syncs my contacts while I sleep.

Maybe someone more familiar with htc will have better advice without installing another app, but if you have to, I highly recommend that one.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this because I usually have a very outdated phones since they're significantly cheaper, so I'm always behind on this kind of thing. But yeah the HTC Desire 510 had the option to add FB that way, and now that I have the Desire 626, like I said in my post, it's just confusing because it DOES let me add FB messenger, it just doesn't let me sync anything with it.

Thank you so much though!! If I can't solve this issue, I'll def try that app out. The main things I want to sync from my FB contacts are contact photos and birthdays so that sounds like a good app. I'm just being stubborn because I got around this issue before and it's bothering me that I forgot how I did it haha.
But really thank you again for your input and suggestion!!