need help getting rid of superuser app

dbriere2424

Reaction score
I downloaded an app and it told me the phone is not rooted but I still have the superuser app on there. I tried doing the factory reset where you hold the power button and volume keys down at the same time and it was suppose to wipe user data clean but the superuser app is still there. I was wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions and if it comes down to flashing or something I wasn't too familiar with if there's anyone someone could chat with me on yahoo or AIM to help guide me through it instead of having to check on here over a few days period. But thanks for any ideas and help you can provide me with.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
You just did a simulated "battery pull" by doing that key sequence. You cannot delete the app by going into settings/applications/manage applications/downloaded and then chose the SU App to uninstall?

BTW Factory Data Reset is in Settings/Privacy

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
I"m going to just assume your stock and did the forever root, switch makes the su binary and superuser app a system app. Which is best to be removed by moto-fastbooting the system image of whatever system build your on. If not the post ^^ is the way to go.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never seen it where Super User can be deleted. Normally an SBF is needed.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I mean. You can't just remove it and be unrooted. There's more involved to go back to 100% stock.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Yes that's what I mean. You can't just remove it and be unrooted. There's more involved to go back to 100% stock.
Very true. Hopefully the OP is familiar with moto-fastboot so he can just flash the system image instead of having to flash the whole fxz with rsd lite.

ldubs

Reaction score
1st post to add nothing to a dead thread from March?

mikah

Reaction score
try this:

find a way to access the command line of your device (using terminal emulator or ssh or something) and issue

Code:
find . -iname *.apk | grep superuser
or
Code:
find . -iname su

The first one looks for the superuser apk, the second one looks for the su binary. IF the second one returns a path, try typing this in terminal:
Code:
su
if you see the $ change to a # this means you're root.

if you don't have the ability to have # and the superuser.apk is located in /system/app the only way to "remove" it is to flash your original firmware -OR- actually root the device and remove the superuser.apk from the /system/app folder... which, in my opinion is a bunch of work just to not have root.

Your rooting method of choice should have an option to unroot (mine did) and basically all it does is uninstall busybox, mount the /system partition as rw (mount -o remount,rw /system) and remove the su binary. (while exploiting the kernel to do so) ...