Navigon Mobile Navigation App

bL33d

Reaction score
I used it on my iPhone prefer it over tomtom or Garmin but Google navigation kinda makes it a hard purchase for me even though I loved it.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Since it uses pre-loaded maps it seems like a good app to have in case you lose cell coverage. Hope the price will be reasonable.

OP
DroidxRage

DroidxRage

Reaction score
So that's the real draw then, the pre-loaded maps?

It does seem like it has some cool features like lane guidance and the such. Looks a little pricey on Winmo though...

SGTiger

Reaction score
So that's the real draw then, the pre-loaded maps?

It does seem like it has some cool features like lane guidance and the such. Looks a little pricey on Winmo though...

I'm hoping it will be cheaper than the Winmo version since Android has Google Nav. Google Navigation kind of worries me if I get into a situation with no cell service. Hasn't happened yet, but sooner or later when you really need it....

Disneyman

Reaction score
Is Navigon coming to Verizon's Motorola Droid

I have been trying to find out without any luck. Is Navigon coming to Verizon's Motorola Droid in the U.S. market. Navigon said coming to Android market soon, and this is for the U.S. but which phone. Navigon can't tell me as of yet, apparently they are not allowed to release this info at this time.
I am hoping it will be for the Droid. I am very interested in getting the Navigon GPS app for my phone.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are apps limited to specific devices? I don't recall running across any like that.

Have you inquired directly with Navigon?

wtherrell

Reaction score
No Mention of it on Navigon site

I went to the Navigon U.S. site. No mention of it at all. Was supposed to be out Spring of 2010? That's long gone!
Redundancy Kit is king!
1. Google Maps on Phone
2. Dedicated GPS device (for no cell service areas) + really big honkin' screen
3. Printed out Google Map directions (for above plus no electricity)
3. Paper map such as DOT state map or Rand-McNally road atlas. (above plus For no laptop or unexpected needs when None of above available)
Should be able to find my way to-from anywhere with this.

Pitiful, ain't it? Just can't trust or rely solely on only one method. Half the fun is getting there!

Disneyman

Reaction score
Android store is on all android phones

Are apps limited to specific devices? I don't recall running across any like that.

Have you inquired directly with Navigon?[/QUOt

I didn't realise the Android market applies to all Android phones so then Navigon should be available to all Android phones.
I did more checking and it looks like it is coming out Dec 10th according to one website, unk price.
The original posting for spring 2010 coming to Android appears to have been the release in Europe. I did contact Navigon and they could not release any particulars.

Thanks.

Disneyman

Reaction score
I went to the Navigon U.S. site. No mention of it at all. Was supposed to be out Spring of 2010? That's long gone!
Redundancy Kit is king!
1. Google Maps on Phone
2. Dedicated GPS device (for no cell service areas) + really big honkin' screen
3. Printed out Google Map directions (for above plus no electricity)
3. Paper map such as DOT state map or Rand-McNally road atlas. (above plus For no laptop or unexpected needs when None of above available)
Should be able to find my way to-from anywhere with this.

Pitiful, ain't it? Just can't trust or rely solely on only one method. Half the fun is getting there!

As stated earlier it appears spring 2010 was for the Android phones in Europe. Navigon states it will be available for release this year in the Android market for U.S. and as I have found out that means all Android phones.
I own a Garmin Nuvi 750, but always have my cell phone with me while I don't always have my Garmin. I think that eventually Garmin and all the other GPS companies will stop manufacturing stand alone GPS units and will instead make GPS software for smart phones.
I am pretty good with maps but you can't beat a nav system.

wtherrell

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

As stated earlier it appears spring 2010 was for the Android phones in Europe. Navigon states it will be available for release this year in the Android market for U.S. and as I have found out that means all Android phones.
I own a Garmin Nuvi 750, but always have my cell phone with me while I don't always have my Garmin. I think that eventually Garmin and all the other GPS companies will stop manufacturing stand alone GPS units and will instead make GPS software for smart phones.
I am pretty good with maps but you can't beat a nav system.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have used Garmin Mobile XT and really liked it. Looking on their site, they really don't seem to offer much except their high priced smartphone with their nav and maps built in.

DroidDoctor

Reaction score
Update on US version Navigon for Android

First post, but I've been reading a while and benefiting from the info on this site. So now is my time to share- learn from my mistake ;)

Here's a heads up to anyone looking at Navigon for Android in the US.

I purchased the full version. Spent nearly an hour (via wifi) downloading the maps. Answered the questions, verified the settings, walked outside to get a good GPS signal, disabled my security (just in case), and...

Was SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Here's the lowdown.

1. 2D maps look like circa 1990's line drawings

2. Very few street names are displayed. Even though the route shows the name of the road, you can scroll through several pages of the map and never see that road labeled.

3. No way to increase the level of detail on a map (ie add street names)

4. TINY little squares approx 1/4" are used to toggle options when in navigation mode (useless!)

5. No touch for street, location or other info

6. Pinch zoom erratic and nearly impossible to accurately zoom a location. It does some sort of jumpy screen refresh when zooming

7. When attempting to view a map for a destination, it uses nearly 1/2 the screen to PERMANENTLY display your destination and reduces your map to a very small portion of the screen. This makes it pretty much useless to use the map section.

Marketplace defaults to a "refund within 15 minutes" policy, but it takes nearly an hour to download! So I've sent emails to the company via google checkout and their website. There is NO PHONE NUMBER for the company.

Bottom line? Skip this program.

I don't mind paying for a quality application. I really want an offline GPS application, as we lose cellular in the mountains here quite often.

I don't know how the European version of this software is, but this US version isn't something I'd keep, even if it were FREE! I don't need to speed more time being distracted by ineffective GPS software.

I'm going to try CoPilot, maybe it's better?

- DD