navigation question

JLB09

Reaction score
I have been using maps/navigation successfully for a long time. I recently moved to the Orlando area and would prefer never to travel on Route 4. From where I live there are equally good alternatives and I almost never would have to travel on 4 but I am always routed via 4. If I use google maps/directions on my computer I am given alternative routes, is there any way to get this same option using my Droid?

I have the original droid. not sure if that matters though.

travisn000

Reaction score
If you click the menu button and select "route info" button, it will take you to a screen with a settings button where you can tell it to avoid hiways and/or tolls. There is also a button that looks like it might provide an alternate route, but I have never seen it clickable (..its always deactivated).

EDIT:

you can also use the "chrome to phone" option from your desktop to send a selected route to your phone.

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
If you click the menu button and select "route info" button, it will take you to a screen with a settings button where you can tell it to avoid hiways and/or tolls. There is also a button that looks like it might provide an alternate route, but I have never seen it clickable (..its always deactivated).

EDIT:

you can also use the "chrome to phone" option from your desktop to send a selected route to your phone.

interesting regarding chrome to phone. Highways & tolls don't really help because I just want a different highway.

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
Found my own answer and it really solves my problem - the Ap CarHome! gives various options with miles across the top and you select the one you want.

travisn000

Reaction score
Found my own answer and it really solves my problem - the Ap CarHome! gives various options with miles across the top and you select the one you want.

Who is the developer of the app?... I couldn't find it in the market

thanks

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
Google is the mfg. Car home is what I searched for

travisn000

Reaction score
Ok I see what you are seeing... the route i was using didn't offer alternate routes; when I tried a different destination the alternate route button described in my previous post also works.

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
Ok I see what you are seeing... the route i was using didn't offer alternate routes; when I tried a different destination the alternate route button described in my previous post also works.

Yes I am sure it will take some getting used to but so far this seems the best option to at least potentially get a different route.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Car Home's not a separate nav app. It's really just a dock app. If you choose Nav you just get the same old Google Maps Nav.

As pointed out above, Google Maps Nav offers alternate routes but you have to hit the button.

OP
JLB09

JLB09

Reaction score
Car Home's not a separate nav app. It's really just a dock app. If you choose Nav you just get the same old Google Maps Nav.

As pointed out above, Google Maps Nav offers alternate routes but you have to hit the button.

as for google maps... I have only been able to get two choice alternatives avoid tolls avoid highways - for me they really are not workable alternatives where I am driving.

Car Home will allow you to bring up several alternatives - it is very much like the way map directions works on your computer.
qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; }
copy.png
favicon.ico