Navigation Broken since Maps upgrade to verion 7.2.0

edporch

Reaction score
Navigation Broken since Maps upgrade to version 7.2.0

Hi Everybody,
My device is a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android Version 4.2.2.

I've had a problem with Navigation since upgrading Google Maps to version 7.2.0 a few days ago.
I would've NEVER done this upgrade had I known...

BEFORE the upgrade,
I could choose Navigation, then when the screen came up choose Map.
Then a screen showing the roads would come up with the "arrow" showing my location and direction of travel.

MOST IMPORTANT, the screen would STAY ACTIVE until I exited Navigation.
This was useful to me to show my location, and give me warning of upcoming traffic congestion.

AFTER the upgrade to Google Maps 7.2.0,
When I choose Navigation, I can't find a way to simply get a screen showing the roads with the "arrow" showing my location and direction of travel LIKE BEFORE.
NOW I must first enter My Location and a Destination before I can get the arrowed screen that STAYS ACTIVE.

How do I get Navigation to work like it did?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum Ed...

You might try to clear cache / data from the Maps app to see if that helps in your issue any - to do this, go into system settings then to apps manager, go over to "all" and scroll down to "Maps", click to open and tap clear cache and then clear data (this will remove any stored defaults, addresses, search, etc so if you don't want that info erased then you probably don't want to clear data) and then you can force stop the app. Good luck!

OP
E

edporch

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum Ed...

You might try to clear cache / data from the Maps app to see if that helps in your issue any - to do this, go into system settings then to apps manager, go over to "all" and scroll down to "Maps", click to open and tap clear cache and then clear data (this will remove any stored defaults, addresses, search, etc so if you don't want that info erased then you probably don't want to clear data) and then you can force stop the app. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply smalltowngirl13,
I tried this and it still would not allow me to do what I could do before with the previous version.
i.e. give me the ALWAYS ON screen with the Direction Arrow that JUST shows me where i am as I drive WITHOUT having to enter a destination.
This mode of operation appears to have been removed with 7.2.0.

So i ended up doing an Uninstall Updates and reverted back to version 6.14.3 from the new 7.2.0.

Maybe SOME users consider 7.2.0 and "upgrade", but in my case 7.2.0 is a "downgrade" from 6.14.3, because it removed an important mode of operation to me.

I WILL NOT upgrade again until the writers of this app wise up and RESTORE the mode of operation that was removed.

S

SFGate

Glad you were able to resolve this although not the desired course. Hopefully they change this. Perhaps you could contact TPTB with the suggestion.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I also believe that the update has been a step backwards for those of us who like the separate Blue arrow Nav function of Maps. So far, the only option is not to update. This has also been discussed in other forums as well. Too bad that something so simple and functional has to get screwed up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2.

OP
E

edporch

Reaction score
Well, my S4 did an upgrade recently that reverted my Maps USELESS version to 7.x!
It won't let me uninstall this and revert back to 6.14.3 that actually works and is useful.

WHERE can i get Maps 6.14.3 that's safe?