Naked Samsung Galaxy S3

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I could see a drop onto carpet or maybe a pile of those styro-foam peanuts being survivable but.... real life drops? Driveway getting out of the car or a parking lot. Ceramic tile floor of the office lobby, Bar floor?
No way.
Cases are like $14 .....the device is $600, insurance gets you someone elses refurbished cast-off.

Why this is even a debateable issue is beyond me but hey, Nobody is buying me my phones. Maybe that's it.

tranzjunkie

Reaction score
I have a dualtek impact protector...excellent with drops..360 protection..a little bulky but great protection

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
CaptainSS said:
I could see a drop onto carpet or maybe a pile of those styro-foam peanuts being survivable but.... real life drops? Driveway getting out of the car or a parking lot. Ceramic tile floor of the office lobby, Bar floor?
No way.
Cases are like $14 .....the device is $600, insurance gets you someone elses refurbished cast-off.

Why this is even a debateable issue is beyond me but hey, Nobody is buying me my phones. Maybe that's it.

I dropped my thunderbolt plenty of times with no screen protector and just a basic case. The drops were typically getting out of my car or airplane, so around 3-4 feet. It didn't have a single scratch on the screen when it stopped working. I feel like I have to baby this phone. Even my screen protector is already scratched.

OP
CuriousRaven

CuriousRaven

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have an Incipio case with rubber inside and hard shell like a thin otterbox, which works great.
Just love the feeling of it when I take it out, but I never been brave enough to just let it streak around town. :blink:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
LOL good man! :thumbup: Phones these days are way too expensive not to protect them with a 15-20 dollar investment.
And for some reason the glass on the S3 doesn't seem nearly as durable or impervious to drops the way the previous Galaxy phones were.
I liked the motorcycle comment. LOL Spot on! :D
Enjoy your S3....It's a great device!

tap'n

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I use the Elago case and LOVE it. I also use an anti-glare screen protector which works great, but does knock the color off a bit from the screen. Probably going to upgrade to an xgear. But I do really love this case. And not just for the protection, but the feel. Solid and not slippery.

GirlWonder

Reaction score
No way!

IMO these phones are way too slippery to use without a case. Go with a minimum protection case if you want to enjoy the beauty of your phone.

Reaction score
I also use the incipio case from the VZW store. I like it a lot. Not too bulky or slippery. Goes in and out if pocket nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

Reaction score
Z06_Mir said:
I dropped my thunderbolt plenty of times with no screen protector and just a basic case. The drops were typically getting out of my car or airplane, so around 3-4 feet. It didn't have a single scratch on the screen when it stopped working. I feel like I have to baby this phone. Even my screen protector is already scratched.

Not all of us were as lucky as you with the thunderbolt. Lol.

View attachment 55954

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

menudo18

Reaction score
Incipio was my second was but my first was a rocket fish snap together which looked great but busted open the first time I dropped it. My phone slid across the concrete face down scratching it. It was replaced under warranty for Kent ubiquitous the camera. Otterbox defender in atomic now.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
IMO these phones are way too slippery to use without a case. Go with a minimum protection case if you want to enjoy the beauty of your phone.

This was actually my first complaint about the GS3. I was having so much trouble reading Kindle in bed without it slipping all over the place. It's also so freakin' light and slim. I think it was designed with using a case in mind. There's really no reason not to. Cases can still be stylish, add essential protection/peace of mind, way less "slick," theres dozens to choose from now...I mean, you really can't lose. I just got a light little $10 matte/silicone case and I love it. Might upgrade eventually, but for now this works great.

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Had mine two weeks and still no case. I used to have a hard plastic case for my Droid 1 but that thing was a battleship compared to this and I eventually went naked with the D1 - two years of use and to this day there's not even the tiniest mark anywhere on it (I never dropped it, not even once).

The S3 feels so slim and delicate that it would seem to cry out for a case, but then I think of all these complaints of cracked screens, absent any drops, and I think the S3 may be too thin and slender for a tight case that might end up actually adding stress to the frame.

kparks510

Reaction score
I have had mine 2 months and i never put a case on it. But i also have best buy insurance incase something does happen.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Now don't focus TOO hard on "all" the complaints over cracked screens. And your case theory, though probable, is still completely unproven with no hard evidence. Keep in mind, in that 22 page thread, there's only like 5 or so people that have had it happen (they just posted a lot). Remember when the iphone 4 had its reception issues? The world seriously almost exploded. 20,000,000+ of these phones have been sold, and the only way to hear about this is to dig through 15+ page threads on internet forums. Wish there was a way to track where those phones were made. But if THATS what keeping you from getting a case, well....to each their own.

Personally I think cases MAINLY prevent chipping on corners and the battery cover flying off when dropped. Screen protectors are what will save your screen more likely than cases...