Samsung Galaxy S3 vs RAZR HD

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I would add that the Rezound(sense) had some of the greatest widgets. The gallery widget in particular, as well as the access to the clock which was already mentioned. the weather widget i have been able to get passed thanks to weather widget thanks to GoLauncher but the windshield wipers were cool. but i miss that gallery widget every time someone want to see pics of my kids.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I am hearing that the battery is not that great on the S3.
What kind of normal usage time is people on average getting?

The 2gb RAM is quite attractive but battery life and reception is my concern.
I hear that the SG3 has been improved greatly in terms of GPS system. But I am hearing ALOT of mixed reviews on the battery life.
Alot of people saying its garbage and some are saying its decent but I have not heard that it was GREAT.
Can the phone hold a charge for 8 hrs under normal usage without charge?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

The 2gb RAM is quite attractive but battery life and reception is my concern.
I hear that the SG3 has been improved greatly in terms of GPS system. But I am hearing ALOT of mixed reviews on the battery life.
Alot of people saying its garbage and some are saying its decent but I have not heard that it was GREAT.
Can the phone hold a charge for 8 hrs under normal usage without charge?

The battery life on the S3 is actually very good, and second only to the RAZR MAXX as far as LTE phones on Verizon right now go. Exactly how long it can go on a charge will vary from person to person depending on usage and what apps are installed, and the definition of "normal usage" varies greatly. I'm on my S3 quite a bit throughout the day, I'd say more than normal for most people, and I have no problems making it through 8 hours.

armeddroid

Reaction score
The battery life on the S3 is actually very good, and second only to the RAZR MAXX as far as LTE phones on Verizon right now go. Exactly how long it can go on a charge will vary from person to person depending on usage and what apps are installed, and the definition of "normal usage" varies greatly. I'm on my S3 quite a bit throughout the day, I'd say more than normal for most people, and I have no problems making it through 8 hours.

Thas very encouraging to hear.
I def agree "normal usage" can be defined differently per the user.
For those who have access to their phones during work in one case vs others who do not. I have access to my phone during work hours but that might not be the case all the time.
Like one scenario I hear is when people complain about their battery life, others chime in and say, "turn this setting off, and this, and this...etc."
I dont want to hear that.
Normal usage to me in one case is auto brightness is a given, WIFI is a given, haptic feedback, etc.
These i dont mind.
If i have to change an aresenal of setting for my phone to get through 8 hours, then that phone is not for me which I heard that SGS3 fits that description.
Thoughts?

ChaosBringer

Reaction score
I've had this same question for a while, really, im just not sure if i should bother upgrading my phone right now or wait til the end of the year. I really wanted a quad core phone but who knows when those will be available for verizon/the states.

my upgrade is coming up next week, but im not sure if i should get the galaxy s3, razr maxx hd, or hold off for another month or two and see whats coming out. everything would be an upgrade at this point with my original incredible, but i really wanna get something that would be worth keeping for two+ years.

the razr maxx hd doesnt have a removable battery, which is the biggest factor into why i am leaning against the idea of getting it (i love mods/rooting, etc, so it could be an issue if i cant force power down if the phone freezes). not to mention the s3 has that 2gb of ram o.o

but the galaxy s3 is already a few months old and given its still $200 price tag, im sure something else will probably come out in the near future that would be around the same price, and probably better/better looking or whatever.

Has there been any word on what may be coming out besides the razr maxx? (no apple bull****)

Last edited:

Z06_Mir

Reaction score

For those who have access to their phones during work in one case vs others who do not. I have access to my phone during work hours but that might not be the case all the time.
Like one scenario I hear is when people complain about their battery life, others chime in and say, "turn this setting off, and this, and this...etc."
Normal usage to me in one case is auto brightness is a given, WIFI is a given, haptic feedback, etc.
These i dont mind.
If i have to change an aresenal of setting for my phone to get through 8 hours, then that phone is not for me which I heard that SGS3 fits that description.
Thoughts?

I typically use Power Saver mode on mine which does turn off the haptic feedback, but I hate haptic feedback anyway so I don't really care. If I'm posting on forums that don't have a mobile site I turn it off so the keyboard doesn't lag. My typical day varies a lot. Today I probably won't unplug my phone until 10 and I'll probably go to bed around 12 or 1 with around 50-60%. I use mine at work but not consistently. I do listen to music on it quite a bit (some media player, some Pandora) and I typically talk on the phone between 1 and 2 hours. I have my GPS off unless I need it. I have Sync on and I leave my phone on vibrate. If I go flying I turn it on Airplane mode and just listen to music. The phone hasn't died on me throughout the day yet. I usually have my screen around 20% but I do adjust it for my need throughout the day. I find auto too bright even inside.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
These i dont mind.
Thoughts?

I think you've been hearing either misinformation, information from people who really don't know what they're doing with their phone, or from people who constantly have poor signal. I have all location settings enabled all the time, I use 4G/3G all the time (which uses more battery than WiFi), I either have the display set on automatic brightness or close to max because I'm outside a lot, and I use my phone all throughout the day. I can't stand haptic feedback, so I have that off, but I do have my phone on vibrate only most of the time (which can impact battery life if you get a lot of calls/texts). I have no problem making it through 8 hours. There's nothing that I feel the need to turn off that I regularly use throughout the day. The only time I'll do that is if it's evening and I'm out away from a charger.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I think you've been hearing either misinformation, information from people who really don't know what they're doing with their phone, or from people who constantly have poor signal. I have all location settings enabled all the time, I use 4G/3G all the time (which uses more battery than WiFi), I either have the display set on automatic brightness or close to max because I'm outside a lot, and I use my phone all throughout the day. I can't stand haptic feedback, so I have that off, but I do have my phone on vibrate only most of the time (which can impact battery life if you get a lot of calls/texts). I have no problem making it through 8 hours. There's nothing that I feel the need to turn off that I regularly use throughout the day. The only time I'll do that is if it's evening and I'm out away from a charger.

Its possibly both. And some who live in struggling 4G areas.
Thas why i was questioning many people in their respected LTE areas to get as many scenarios as possible.
I appreciate the info and def curbs my initial thoughts in copping the SGS3.

Much obliged.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's why I haven't done one yet. My list above is in response to someone who asked for the pros and cons of the S3 versus the Rezound. :)

I wasn't talking about you lol.. :p:D just making a blanket statement ;) I know you wouldn't do that.
.you wouldn't dissuade me further.. lmao..

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wasn't talking about you lol.. :p:D just making a blanket statement ;) I know you wouldn't do that.
.you wouldn't dissuade me further.. lmao..

Oh, but if I wanted to dissuade you further, I could easily do one based off known specs, and in that, the S3 would outshine the RAZR MAXX HD overall. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oh, but if I wanted to dissuade you further, I could easily do one based off known specs, and in that, the S3 would outshine the RAZR MAXX HD overall. :)

Nah... the ram isn't a big deal with the new blur, I don't think. We'll see though. LOL

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Nah... the ram isn't a big deal with the new blur, I don't think. We'll see though. LOL

You mean "I hope the ram isn't a big deal with the new blur." :)

There's also the whole future-proofing aspect of the extra gig of ram, larger screen, better camera (with as important as mobile cameras have become, if the HD's had an improved camera, they would have talked about it in when they were revealed)... :)

They're certainly not looking to be bad devices, and reception could make them extremely appealing for many, but they bring nothing new to the table. The top tier devices out there have had everything they have, and more, for months. That might be somewhat forgivable if they were being released this week, but we don't know when they're coming. For me, they're already too little too late, but in a month or two when they're actually released, they'll be too far behind the curve for me.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah that's true about being behind the curve.. but this is just a phoning it in device... putting something out..

It'll be February when/if moto shows any signs of progress. Which I personally think they will.

But on the other side of the coin... if Samsung doesn't get jb out soon(provided moto doesn't drop the ball) then there'll be the whole"its got jb" thing..not a big deal to some... but to others.... its going to be EVERYTHING..which is sad lmao.

As far as future proofing... idk about that. It could help, but with the improvements in processors, and hopefully an improvement in efficiency of the processors, ram won't be a huge issue...

But yes the s3 will definitely be more capable to be viable for future use... but will the build quality last that long?

I'm not saying any other device would be.... they're all cutting corners internally...

Last edited: