n00b with rooting, flash and OTA ?'s

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Hello all, had a OG droid since it's release, but never rooted. Got the GN and played with unlocking the bootloader and rooting. I then brought it back to stock (locked/unrooted) so I could return it due to a screen issue. So now I have a new stock GN. I'd like to unlock and root this one because I'm interested in wifi tethering, nova launcher and ad blocks.

I wanted to make sure I new the process back and forth so I can troubleshoot issues. I hacked my Dell mini 10 so I could run OSX...I know, Mac...oh well, it works for me. So besides terminal commands and the like, rooting is new for me.

How do you recover or flash...update things without having to re-root? From what I gather, if I do an OTA, it will reset the GN to factory, unless I do som custom ROM, then all bets are off. I might wait for the OTA 4.0.3 update and then root. But I've seen others install the radio update while rooted. Can someone point me in the right direction with CW recovery, how it works?

I'm not planning on any ROMs just yet, but I'd like to get more familiar with how to get all the benefits out of this phone. So far, I really love the GN, despite some of it's quirks.

Thanks

BCrawford

Reaction score
How do you recover or flash...update things without having to re-root?

If you want to flash roms, basebands, etc... you will need to root the phone.
(From the sticky in this forum)

[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

Questions?
  • The above method unlocks your bootloader AND roots your device.
  • You do not need ADB.
  • This does not put a custom recovery on your phone.
  • This does not put a custom rom on your phone.
  • Yes, your phone is still stock.
  • Yes, you will still receive OTA's from Google/Verizon.
  • This only puts Superuser on your phone, you need to install busybox yourself.

Concerning clockwork, this should help.....

[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery *CDMA Edition* (Final Version)

If on Mac,

[h=2]Unlock bootloader and root using a Mac - instructions[/h]

OP
R850R

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Thanks, I guess I'm being daft.

I've read those and did the CW mod on the last phone. I was just wondering what happens if I installed nova, adblock and wifi tether to a stock rooted ROM...what happens with an OTA? Does it allow the update? Do I lose root? Does it brick or lose the rooted apps mentioned above? I guess I need to do more homework. Especially on installing a new baseband for example.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
How do you recover or flash...update things without having to re-root? From what I gather, if I do an OTA, it will reset the GN to factory, unless I do som custom ROM, then all bets are off. I might wait for the OTA 4.0.3 update and then root. But I've seen others install the radio update while rooted. Can someone point me in the right direction with CW recovery, how it works?

I'm not planning on any ROMs just yet, but I'd like to get more familiar with how to get all the benefits out of this phone. So far, I really love the GN, despite some of it's quirks.

Thanks

Well... You already got rooted and unlocked before so just follow sbensons guide (like I assume you did before.)

OTAs do not factory reset. I think what you may be thinking of, is whenever you flash a rom, you need to factory reset, but of course before you do that, you make backups! :biggrin:

I think you should just root and unlock now because as you know the process will wipe everything on your phone. You can just plan not to do anything with that for a while if you don't want to! :)

The previous poster posted the how to for CWM. Its basically a custom recovery that allows you to install custom roms, kernels, etc... you can also do things like clearing the caches, battery stats, etc. from CWM. Oh and Nandroid backups. :)

If you have any specific questions, be sure to post them! I'll see if I can answer them! :biggrin:

jpin321

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I'm being daft.

I've read those and did the CW mod on the last phone. I was just wondering what happens if I installed nova, adblock and wifi tether to a stock rooted ROM...what happens with an OTA? Does it allow the update? Do I lose root? Does it brick or lose the rooted apps mentioned above? I guess I need to do more homework. Especially on installing a new baseband for example.

If your stock rooted it will allow the update. It wont brick or wipe your device. But you will probably need to re-root. But don't worry only unlocking the bootloader actually wipes the device rooting does not. Im stock rooted now and will gladly accept OTA's i have backups after all :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums