My LOL convo with an iPhone friend...

ConqSoft

Reaction score
iphone luvr: sitting on the toilet has never been the same since i got my iphone
640k: same here

Am I to understand that you were both on the toilet while having this conversation?

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
iphone luvr: well - they dropped the ball. it will never touch the same market share as the iPhone

I keep reading stuff like this. iPhone people seem to think it is the iPhone vs the Droid. Problem is - it is actually the iPhone vs all Android phones. I read recently that they expect Andorid phones will be outselling (or outnumbering - don't remember which) iPhones within two years. One of the problems with keeping your stuff locked down.
it's more like all smartphone devices are vs. iPhone since iPhone set such a high bar with its marketing and app store. the rest of the competitive smartphone market just didn't have the same recognition level that iPhone introduced.

vzw introducing DROID has been the first major hit to iPhone and with vzw's reputation, it has the potential to really help Android lead the market.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
iphone luvr: sitting on the toilet has never been the same since i got my iphone
640k: same here

Am I to understand that you were both on the toilet while having this conversation?
ha! i was at work. remember, copy and paste sucks on the DROID. lol.

zudien

Reaction score
In the mac vs pc vs *nix/bsd it all comes down to end user customization.

Apple wants to control every aspect of your user experience so if you look at the phone there is plenty of stuff to look at and but if you want to change something about it you will be hard pressed. Apple says this is for stability. Which is true. Also Apple products are much easier to use (this has been proven). I would have no problem giving a less tech savvy person an Apple product to use if I wasn't around.

In the Windows/PC world (including WinMo in here too) customization is an option but most will be happy with just changing the background on their desktop. However those that want, can tweak and install a multitude of programs run lots of different things and much more than a mac can. Windows is the lumbering giant and I would have no problem handing a windows product off to almost anyone (winmo excluded here, although it does have it finer points.)

As for *nix/bsd community they are set up to tweak the ever living crap out of anything that moves. They hack, slash and dice their way through a command line so the transition seems more smooth or every time they press the f key it makes a fart noise. If there is a piece of hardware or at least something with a screen a linux/bsd developer will wonder quietly to himself, I wonder if I can put linux/bsd on there. It's all about sheer power over the OS. However with this power comes a much less user friendly rough around the edges user experience out of the box.

In the end it all comes down to what you want.

Apple
Pretty, simple to use, few options, use only their hardware

PC/Windows
Less pretty (but not by much) lots of options, easy to use, can use a multitude of hardware options

Linux/BSD
Can be more pretty or less, steep learning curve, more options than you can possibly imagine, if it's hardware it can probably run a kernel.