My LOL convo with an iPhone friend...

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 640k, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 640k

640k Active Member

...names have been changed to protect the innocent...
    lol. justification fail. good luck with your "blue" network. :D
  2. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Well, he does make a good point about the app store. the current market sucks.
  3. 640k

640k Active Member

it will get better. the big problem here is the only recognition of Android that Google received were from a few die-hard tech-nerds. apple made it easy to jump ship with their dumbed-down development and huge market share.

the DROID is the first step in Android making a dent in the smartphone market.
  4. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Well yea, it will get better. Already has. They have been silently improving the search the last week or so.

And dumbed down for the general public is the way to make money. You can't knock apples marketing or development. Now the hardware and network they use may be inferior but the ease of use can't be argued. Make no mistake if moto and google could have a bunch of 12 year olds with droids like apple has with iphones they would love it. Luckily, it's open source and rooted so we will always have our core nerd love for it!
  5. 640k

640k Active Member

there is def a big difference in development standards between the two. Google has already shown more promise for a better future than Apple has with their close-minded approach to everything (sometimes i feel even MS is more receptive and open-minded than Apple ever is).

their (Apple) elitist approach to marketing and products can't last forever.
  6. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

Apple is no dummy. Marketing and a smooth interface tied into anything they produce. It took Apple forever to start using Intel CPU because they want control of every process going on in their devices. Software and apps run well together. Does that make it better? For some it does, but take a look at how many IPhones have been Jailbreak. Look at Bootstrap where people can run Windows on Mac. People are starting to look elsewhere.
  7. 640k

640k Active Member

Don't forget Hackintosh for people who want to spend $400 on a $3000 equivelant Mac.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I think you meant Boot Camp, not bootstrap. It partitions a portion of the hard drive so that you can run Windows. That's what comes with a Mac. I happen to use VMware Fusion so I can run both simultaneously.
  9. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Don't even get me started on Macs...
  10. 640k

640k Active Member

I don't think it's Mac/Apple that's so bad as it is the self-entitled user base. but that's just personal opinion. :D
  11. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I just started using the new Parallels instead of VMware and really love it.
  12. synctek

synctek New Member

The Mac has a place in this world - right now they seem to be very popular at schools - UOP and U of A are almost exclusive MAC but some are running XP Pro. The attraction has to be that they are so hard to break, not as vulnerable to virusesesese and a trained monkey can use one with some training. I also heard that Lucas uses MAC's for all the video rendering for CGI movies. Eh..... I would rather build a Linux Box personally.
  13. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

Yes that's what I meant. But you get the point. What % of devices that Apple produce are changed somehow to get around the locked down control? Ask any IPhone user how great it was before they jailbroke it. And having the means to run another OS on the Mac comes in handy I'm sure.
  14. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

iphone luvr: well - they dropped the ball. it will never touch the same market share as the iPhone

I keep reading stuff like this. iPhone people seem to think it is the iPhone vs the Droid. Problem is - it is actually the iPhone vs all Android phones. I read recently that they expect Andorid phones will be outselling (or outnumbering - don't remember which) iPhones within two years. One of the problems with keeping your stuff locked down.
  15. nunka

nunka New Member

Tell your friend s/he uses too many hyphens... very incorrectly, I might add.
  16. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

Am I to understand that you were both on the toilet while having this conversation?
  17. 640k

640k Active Member

it's more like all smartphone devices are vs. iPhone since iPhone set such a high bar with its marketing and app store. the rest of the competitive smartphone market just didn't have the same recognition level that iPhone introduced.

vzw introducing DROID has been the first major hit to iPhone and with vzw's reputation, it has the potential to really help Android lead the market.
  18. 640k

640k Active Member

ha! i was at work. remember, copy and paste sucks on the DROID. lol.
  19. zudien

zudien New Member

In the mac vs pc vs *nix/bsd it all comes down to end user customization.

Apple wants to control every aspect of your user experience so if you look at the phone there is plenty of stuff to look at and but if you want to change something about it you will be hard pressed. Apple says this is for stability. Which is true. Also Apple products are much easier to use (this has been proven). I would have no problem giving a less tech savvy person an Apple product to use if I wasn't around.

In the Windows/PC world (including WinMo in here too) customization is an option but most will be happy with just changing the background on their desktop. However those that want, can tweak and install a multitude of programs run lots of different things and much more than a mac can. Windows is the lumbering giant and I would have no problem handing a windows product off to almost anyone (winmo excluded here, although it does have it finer points.)

As for *nix/bsd community they are set up to tweak the ever living crap out of anything that moves. They hack, slash and dice their way through a command line so the transition seems more smooth or every time they press the f key it makes a fart noise. If there is a piece of hardware or at least something with a screen a linux/bsd developer will wonder quietly to himself, I wonder if I can put linux/bsd on there. It's all about sheer power over the OS. However with this power comes a much less user friendly rough around the edges user experience out of the box.

In the end it all comes down to what you want.

Apple
    Pretty, simple to use, few options, use only their hardware

PC/Windows
    Less pretty (but not by much) lots of options, easy to use, can use a multitude of hardware options

Linux/BSD
    Can be more pretty or less, steep learning curve, more options than you can possibly imagine, if it's hardware it can probably run a kernel.
Search tags for this page
a convo lol

lol convos

mylol app for iphone
mylol app release date
mylol on galaxy