Multimedia Control in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by drpurp, Mar 20, 2010.

1. drpurp

drpurp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I am in my vehicle I use a FM transmitter for music playback. I refuse to use a Bluetooth FM transmitter as each device I have tried so far from others has resulted in horrible sound. I used to use my PSP as my device to play music, using this remote to control my playback:

[​IMG]

Now that I own a Droid I have been trying to find a way to control playback like I used to do with my PSP when in my vehicle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. drpurp

drpurp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Giving it a second go, hoping someone knows of anything. :D

3. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not with an FM transmitter unless the transmitter has a wired remote that works with the Droid. Or if you can find a wired remote with a pass-through to connect the FM transmitter.

If you're referring to a device that uses both bluetooth and an FM transmitter, I'm not surprised as that's 2 sources of sound quality loss. You car's head unit doesn't have BT? You could control the Droid that way.

#3 takeshi, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. drpurp

drpurp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought. I am looking for a remote so I can at least switch tracks without using the touchscreen. Any recommendations in that department?

My car does not have BT support.

5. texasPI

texasPI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I encountered the same problem. Fortunately my car stereo unit supports BT, I just had to add the BT module which was not cheap...about $100 smackers but it is quite enjoyable to use and I can also handle phone calls as well through the BT.

The way I see it, it was cheaper to go this route in my old car than to buy a new one! :icon_eek:

6. rmcray08

rmcray08 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an interesting solution. Have you seen Motorola's MotoRokr T505? It's a really interesting device that's gotten good reviews.

Here's the rundown:
    -Bluetooth syncs to your phone
    -FM transmitter that sends your phone's audio through your speakers
    -Clips to your sun visor
    -Built in Mic
    -Next track/Previous Track buttons

I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for but it's gotten great reviews. I don't own one yet, but I'm planning to buy one very soon. Let me know what you think.

Amazon.com: Motorola MOTOROKR T505 - Speaker phone - wireless - Bluetooth 2.0: Cell Phones & Service

7. rmcray08

rmcray08 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, sorry I just read your comment about refusing to use a bluetooth FM transmitter. My bad.

8. circsmonky

circsmonky Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is there another way to plug the droid into a radio other than the headphone jack? i currently have an ipod touch with all my music and a charger/remote set up that plugs into my cars aux jack. my car has no BT.

9. drpurp

drpurp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone I know recently brought to my attention of a bluetooth dog tag. After looking at it, I may opt for it as it is a simple and quick solution.

Not a bad idea, although I'm not sure if I have the time to install it in my vehicle. In addition, I don't think it is easy to put in my car, which is why I settled for a FM transmitter instead of trying to make a direct connection.

I actually know someone that owns that particular device and it works great in his car. I was about to purchase one, but he let me borrow it for me to use before I purchased it. Sound was absolute CRAP in my vehicle, so I decided not to purchase.

10. rmcray08

rmcray08 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a question. If you use something like the MotoROKR T505 (Bluetooth+FM transmission) in combination with an AUX-IN (so you have the phone connected both via bluetooth AND a hard line), could you use the media controls on the MotoROKR T505 and still get sound output via the AUX cable?