MP3 for a text tone.....

LabShark

Reaction score
I have an mp3 I'd like to utilize as my text/notification tone. I cannot figure out how. It is not in the default list obviously.

Any thoughts?

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have an mp3 I'd like to utilize as my text/notification tone. I cannot figure out how. It is not in the default list obviously.

Any thoughts?

Create a folder called "notifications" on your SD card or on the data portion on your phone and place the mp3 file there then reboot and it will show up in the list of available tones.

My default tone is the Star Trek communicator from the original series.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Create a folder called "notifications" on your SD card or on the data portion on your phone and place the mp3 file there then reboot and it will show up in the list of available tones.

My default tone is the Star Trek communicator from the original series.

It is better to put it on the internal memory. If it is on the SD card it has been known to go back to a default tone affter the phone is connected to a PC.

thegreatone3

Reaction score
It is better to put it on the internal memory. If it is on the SD card it has been known to go back to a default tone affter the phone is connected to a PC.

Mine does this even when my tones are on internal memory. Grrr. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Phreaker47

Reaction score
What seems to work for me (after going through that same headache for some time where the phone randomly botches your tone settings) is to put them in the SYSTEM memory (where all the other default tones are). I think you need root to do this. I do it with root and ES File Explorer

Locations:

/system/media/audio/ringtones
/system/media/audio/alarms
/system/media/audio/notifications

This seems to be the ONLY way to ensure they never do that annoying reset. This used to happen on my original 0G Droid too. A notification would randomly pick not another notification, but one of my SONGS from the SD card. Always threw me and frustrated me. This is what you need to do. And by the way, if you're in these /system/media folders with root/write access, yes it is safe to delete other tones in there (I hate most all of them so I do that). I just leave the ones that appear to be default sounds (you can tell by their names).

When you do make changes to these folders, and especially if you've deleted system tones, you need to reboot your phone after.

Disclaimer: As always, be careful when writing to system areas with root! If in doubt, cancel out.

thegreatone3

Reaction score
A notification would randomly pick not another notification, but one of my SONGS from the SD card. Always threw me and frustrated me.

Nothing like being awakened by a full length Norah Jones song in the middle of the night for a simple email notification. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk