Motorola Unlocking Bootloaders

josh1980

Reaction score
So i was on wiki just reading up on moto and they had something added i thought id share.

Copied from wiki:

Bootloader controversy

This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2012)
In 2011, after a sizeable backlash from consumers, Motorola promised to have a bootloader unlock tool by the second half of 2011. After failing to do so, an uproar was again heard from the Android community. The term Operation: Make Ourselves Heard (#OPMOSH) was coined to identify the movement. An online petition was started and Motorolas Facebook page was inundated with posts demanding them to keep their word. Complaints to the FCC followed as the regulatory requirement for Block C devices states "Consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire".

I never knew this existed so maybe whats happening now is because of this and them keeping their promise???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Haha. My oh my. How fast people forgot all that stuff from 2011. Motorola has been promising they'd unlock the bootloaders for over 14 months. I saw this thread and the first thing through my mind was "what else is there to be said about bootloaders?" This was a very big deal in 2011. Even when ICS came out I saw Motorola's facebook page overrun with comments about ICS.... and "when are the unlocked bootloaders coming?"

In my opinion, anyone who thinks that an unlocked bootloader is coming to your phone while your phone is still modern enough to want to use it is smoking something. I'm thinking that all that happened in 2011 was Motorola's mouth wrote a check it's a** couldn't clear. As vocal as the community was when Motorola promised unlocked bootloaders I'm thinking Motorola wouldn't dare make a public statement that they've changed their mind. Can you imagine how many lawsuits would start?

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
josh1980 said:
Haha. My oh my. How fast people forgot all that stuff from 2011. Motorola has been promising they'd unlock the bootloaders for over 14 months. I saw this thread and the first thing through my mind was "what else is there to be said about bootloaders?" This was a very big deal in 2011. Even when ICS came out I saw Motorola's facebook page overrun with comments about ICS.... and "when are the unlocked bootloaders coming?"

In my opinion, anyone who thinks that an unlocked bootloader is coming to your phone while your phone is still modern enough to want to use it is smoking something. I'm thinking that all that happened in 2011 was Motorola's mouth wrote a check it's a** couldn't clear. As vocal as the community was when Motorola promised unlocked bootloaders I'm thinking Motorola wouldn't dare make a public statement that they've changed their mind. Can you imagine how many lawsuits would start?

Lol, yeah ic what your saying. I have them on my FB page and yeah that's all I ever see is rundown comments about the boot loaders lol. Well maybe the time has came, when the Q releases we'll see if its true.

skennelly

Reaction score
No Motorola phone will ever be unlocked on Verizon's network. And like mentioned above, if you have already purchased that phone then save yourself the anger and frustration and realize that your only opportunity to have an unlocked bootloader will be to buy one that the devs have already unlocked.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
skennelly said:
No Motorola phone will ever be unlocked on Verizon's network. And like mentioned above, if you have already purchased that phone then save yourself the anger and frustration and realize that your only opportunity to have an unlocked bootloader will be to buy one that the devs have already unlocked.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Im not totally convinced on that cause my defense is why is other phones unlocked? Just because the S3 is locked doesn't mean there will never be another unlocked phone. And even the S3 developer version is coming anyways.

skennelly

Reaction score
Im not totally convinced on that cause my defense is why is other phones unlocked? Just because the S3 is locked doesn't mean there will never be another unlocked phone. And even the S3 developer version is coming anyways.

All phones come locked on the verizon network. Some however, are more easily hacked than others. The GN came locked, but obviously was very easy to unlock. People had a hell of a time unlocking the rezound, and HTC has an unlock tool. My point is that Verizon is not going to make this an easy process. They will do everything within their power to keep the phones locked down. Some security measures are better than others, but it will take great developers to unlock these phones.

wseyller

Reaction score
I remember the samsung fascinate on verizon was like taking candy from a baby.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
skennelly said:
All phones come locked on the verizon network. Some however, are more easily hacked than others. The GN came locked, but obviously was very easy to unlock. People had a hell of a time unlocking the rezound, and HTC has an unlock tool. My point is that Verizon is not going to make this an easy process. They will do everything within their power to keep the phones locked down. Some security measures are better than others, but it will take great developers to unlock these phones.

My bad I worded that wrong, I know none come unlocked, what I meant was there are some unlockable. I don't thank it will be easy either but I thank we will see Motos unlockable. The wording in the blog they wrote said they can now because of a policy change. This is all good news either way.

grgguy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the original Droid even had a bootloader. It was as unlocked as could be. Having said that , maybe the 1 of the reasons for Verizon and Moto now lock the phones is because of the amount of warranty/tech support they had to provide with that phone. Everyone and their brothers were trying to root and Rom that phone . Most of them including myself had no idea what we were doing . I remember they had multiple rescue threads and a rescue squad in this forum for people who had soft bricked their phones. It must had been a nightmare for Verizon.( on a separate note ; you weren't even allowed to mention rooting and romming on this forum when it first started, it was a big NO NO) . Verizon and Moto probably don't want to deal with that again and this (locking down the bootloader ) is thier solution .

gsDroid

Reaction score
I think the original Droid had a locked bootloader, but keys were leaked, bribed, or stolen that allowed it to be unlocked. Then, development took off like crazy. That open development and excitement helped make the original Droid the success that it was and made Verizon a ton of money. That Verizon prohibits unlocked bootloaders results in our phones not fulfilling their true potential. I think the Bionic with an unlocked bootloader would still be a premier phone with what the developers could do with it.

grgguy

Reaction score
I think the original Droid had a locked bootloader, but keys were leaked, bribed, or stolen that allowed it to be unlocked. Then, development took off like crazy. That open development and excitement helped make the original Droid the success that it was and made Verizon a ton of money. That Verizon prohibits unlocked bootloaders results in our phones not fulfilling their true potential. I think the Bionic with an unlocked bootloader would still be a premier phone with what the developers could do with it.

I completely agree with you and I also think it was the lack of the bootloader and openness of the "Droid" which helped the Andriod OS take off like it did. However I don't think it had a bootloader. The first phones to come with them were the X and the D2.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The D1 most certainly had a bootloader. It just didn't care what you flashed on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wseyller

Reaction score
I remember it being locked and i believe it was not encrypted but i remember doing something to unlock it the first time i got the phone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The D1 did have a bootloader.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

wseyller

Reaction score
I remember it being locked and i believe it was not encrypted but i remember doing something to unlock it the first time i got the phone.

Actually i may have been wrong. My memory is flawed.