Motorola Responds To Scratch Prone Shatter Shield Display Complaints

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
shattershield-jpg.77708

The one major selling point of the Motorola Z2 Force is the Shatter Shield Display. Motorola is one of the only OEMs out there that is advertising their display as shatter resistant. Just about all other flagships have the Achilles heel of shattering when dropped. The Moto Z2 Force uses a multilayer design which includes an exterior lens which some consumers are complaining scratches unreasonably easy. Motorola says this is due to the 3D design of the display. According to Motorola the new Shatter Shield screen has been thoroughly tested and should be just as durable as last years Moto Z Force. They also said they have an improvement to the display that will roll out shortly after launch. Who knows what Motorola has up their sleeves for this upcoming "improvement".

How do you feel about shatter shield? My Galaxy S8 is already pretty scratch prone. Do you prefer a display that won't shatter but is even more susceptible to scratching?

via Pocketnow

Attachments

• shattershield.jpg
    shattershield.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,103

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am on my second phone with Shattershield technology(Droid Turbo 2 and Droid Z Force), and don't see myself ever going back to Gorilla Glass as long as Moto keeps making a Shttershield phone. Do they scratch easy? Yes. Do they break / crack when dropped? No. So for me, a $19 glass screen protector from Verizon keeps my screen scratch resistant while the Moto Shattershield technology keeps it shatter proof. I'm good with that.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
It should be well recommended, when purchasing, that a screen protector be installed. I too have used the Turbo 2, and currently Z Force Droid. Screen protector on each before I went out the door of the Verizon store. The problem might be for those who buy online and don't get a screen protector right away. However, it sure sounds like Moto has a different kind of problem with the Z Force 2, that some kind of update will be coming out. I hope that the first Z Force 2 owners can take advantage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I start out with screen protectors, but after I break my 3rd or 4th one, I just give up and run naked. My current Turbo 2 is scratched to ****. It doesn't help that on more the one occasion I have tossed my phone around or slammed the screen on the corner of a desk to demonstrate its Shatterproofness. Seriously. But it doesn't effect the display, you can't see the scratches when the phone is lit.
'Nuff Said

In my opinion, Motorola makes the best phones and has been for years. For several reasons:
  • Shatterproof phones. I mean, seriously, how has only one company figured this out yet?
  • Very little bloat and what Moto bloat there is, isn't just OK... it's excellent. It still blows my mind that not ONE manufacturer, not Apple, LG, HTC nor even Sammy, has made a driving text app that is on par with what Moto does on its higher end phones and the Moto App that reads texts to you. No, we clamor for car companies to install AA so we can drive safer... we should be demanding phones that work hands free while driving. This is important to me, and a big reason I can't seem to leave Moto. THIS APP is one of the best and it sucks... SUCKS... compared to the Moto app. Go ahead... tell me Siri can do this... tell me Bixby can do this... oh, wait... where IS Bixby? Tell me how great it works on Android Auto. Trust me when I tell you: Moto Voice aka "Drive Mode" smokes every one of them.
  • I'm not even going to mention chopping and twisting. ;)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nah, the best things about moto phones is twist wrist for camera and karate chop for flashlight. I use both daily numerous times and love it every time.
Well and giant batteries are also nice to have. 11 hours of screen time on my z play without any mods!

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I start out with screen protectors, but after I break my 3rd or 4th one, I just give up and run naked. My current Turbo 2 is scratched to ****. It doesn't help that on more the one occasion I have tossed my phone around or slammed the screen on the corner of a desk to demonstrate its Shatterproofness. Seriously. But it doesn't effect the display, you can't see the scratches when the phone is lit.
'Nuff Said

In my opinion, Motorola makes the best phones and has been for years. For several reasons:
  • Shatterproof phones. I mean, seriously, how has only one company figured this out yet?
  • Very little bloat and what Moto bloat there is, isn't just OK... it's excellent. It still blows my mind that not ONE manufacturer, not Apple, LG, HTC nor even Sammy, has made a driving text app that is on par with what Moto does on its higher end phones and the Moto App that reads texts to you. No, we clamor for car companies to install AA so we can drive safer... we should be demanding phones that work hands free while driving. This is important to me, and a big reason I can't seem to leave Moto. THIS APP is one of the best and it sucks... SUCKS... compared to the Moto app. Go ahead... tell me Siri can do this... tell me Bixby can do this... oh, wait... where IS Bixby? Tell me how great it works on Android Auto. Trust me when I tell you: Moto Voice aka "Drive Mode" smokes every one of them.
  • I'm not even going to mention chopping and twisting. ;)

wrong side of bed this morning :p

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nope....he's spot on with his opinions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nah, the best things about moto phones is twist wrist for camera and karate chop for flashlight. I use both daily numerous times and love it every time.
Well and giant batteries are also nice to have. 11 hours of screen time on my z play without any mods!
I miss having that... LG has... double press the volume down for camera and double press volume up (with the screen of WTF) for screen capture+

yeah, LG I don't need screen cap + as a shortcut... I need my flashlight for a shortcut.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nah. Not frustrated at all. I don't care if no one else has a proper driving mode. I like LG a lot and if the G6 had something like that, I'd switch. But no...no one cares about me like Moto does. Bwahaha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Nah. Not frustrated at all. I don't care if no one else has a proper driving mode. I like LG a lot and if the G6 had something like that, I'd switch. But no...no one cares about me like Moto does. Bwahaha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I do not use driving mode at all. the phone stays in my pocket and unused until I get to where I am going. with all the different laws being passed about not using the phone while driving, I do not want to take a chance - even in drive mode.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not use driving mode at all. the phone stays in my pocket and unused until I get to where I am going. with all the different laws being passed about not using the phone while driving, I do not want to take a chance - even in drive mode.
Navigation (or Madison if your SwiftKey) and music is what I use my phone for... I have a magnetic attachment and can do almost everything with voice.

I never really got into the drive mode in moto, it definitely seemed more robust than what other phones give though.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk