Motorola Lists their Phones to Get Android 6.0; The AT&T & VZW Moto X (2nd Gen) Are NOT on It

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nfl-moto-x.jpg

Here's a handy list that also includes some bad news for some users. Motorola pushed out a list of their devices which will receive Google's latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS. There is a surprising omission on this list, and it turns out that it may be purposeful.

First, here's the list:
  • 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
  • 2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
  • 2015 Moto X Play
  • 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
  • 2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
  • 2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
  • 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
  • DROID Turbo
  • 2014 Moto MAXX
  • 2014 Moto Turbo
  • Nexus 6
Savvy users might notice that the AT&T and Verizon versions of the Moto X (2nd gen) are NOT on this list. Motorola even issued a statement in a tech support blog sharing that those devices specifically won't be getting the update. What, what, what?!?

How is it that a Motorola flagship that is only around a year old is not going to get the latest Android version? We will follow up and make sure that this info is accurate. Perhaps the Motorola forums manager (Matt) who posted this info was mistaken or didn't share complete info. Sound off if you would be affected by this odd decision.

Source: Motorola: (1) & (2)

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Typical Motorola. Coupon for discount on new phone coming soon.
Once they announce no support, they should be required to unlock the bootloader.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Im going to be switching to ProjectFi in the next week or so. Im tired of Verizon having locked down devices, and in most cases, NOT making current updates available to their branded phones. Nexus 6P for me!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to blame it on vzw or att however the whole idea of the X is to avoid carriers from slowing updates for whatever BS excuse they've always used.

strange... hope it's not true for those of you who have the device.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Given how badly Lollipop performs on my MX14 I am hugely disappointed by this news. I was counting on M to keep me from throwing my phone out the window.

JDH

Reaction score
After the way we turbo owners were treated regarding 5.1, I'm surprised to see us on the list. I'm looking forward to the permissions control feature. Hope they're not just jerking us around like last time.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
After the way we turbo owners were treated regarding 5.1, I'm surprised to see us on the list. I'm looking forward to the permissions control feature. Hope they're not just jerking us around like last time.
They can always change their minds and give us a "50$ towards the purchase of a new device" coupon...

I agree..the turbo was a spec'd out monster...and they dropped the ball on it..3900 mah battery, 808 processor(and it runs cool) decent screen...only not a removable battery and no micro SD card slot..and turbo charging...I really didn't notice how useful turbo charging was until I got a call to fill in for a guitar player last night..and it was 45 mins before show time and I had to get home, shower, grab my gear and forgot to plug in my turbo..so the 15 minute drive with the turbo car charger I went from 20% to around 60% I think it was..

JDH

Reaction score
With 64gihs I really don't need the SD slot. Had a 32 gig SD in my razr maxx and really used very little of it. If Verizon and Motorola would get the volte working right improve the 4g lte signal coverage and keep us up to date with software. I think my turbo would last a very long time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
They can always change their minds and give us a "50$ towards the purchase of a new device" coupon...

I agree..the turbo was a spec'd out monster...and they dropped the ball on it..3900 mah battery, 808 processor(and it runs cool) decent screen...only not a removable battery and no micro SD card slot..and turbo charging...I really didn't notice how useful turbo charging was until I got a call to fill in for a guitar player last night..and it was 45 mins before show time and I had to get home, shower, grab my gear and forgot to plug in my turbo..so the 15 minute drive with the turbo car charger I went from 20% to around 60% I think it was..
As is the same for the Droid Maxx HD, Droid Maxx, Droid Bionic and most of VZW's other droids. They dropped the ball bad.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
With 64gihs I really don't need the SD slot. Had a 32 gig SD in my razr maxx and really used very little of it. If Verizon and Motorola would get the volte working right improve the 4g lte signal coverage and keep us up to date with software. I think my turbo would last a very long time.
I like a micro sd card..simply so i can store a bunch of music and not weigh down the phone..if you get my meaning..if I have a 64 gig phone and a 128 gig SD card..and all of my music is on the SD card..and it also makes fdr's easier..just pop the card and wipe the phone..as it is now..I have to upload all my music again..but my flash drive has jacked it u the last few times..idk why..made fresh backups...

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Is turbo going to get Android six? What ver is lollipop?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is turbo going to get Android six? What ver is lollipop?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Did you see the OP? Droid Turbo 2014 is in the list. 5.x.x is lollipop.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
The US government sticks its nose in everything else so how about doing something useful and requiring all cell companies to provide all security updates (at least) as soon as they become available.

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I believe it's a 805 processor.