Motorola Droid X Vs Samsung Fascinate

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Shill, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Shill

Shill New Member

I purchased my X yesterday, though it is on backorder and won't be shipped for a week or so. So I have some time to change my mind yet. I'd much rather change it now than later to avoid the $35 restocking fee.

I'd been absolutely set on the X until the sales person introduced me to the Fascinate. Not doing much research, I went with the X. and then came home curious about the Fascinate. I have been told the only reason to switch is because of the unlocked bootloader? Beign new to droids, I have no idea what that means for me. If it means more/better apps. I'm all for it! I'd love to see some emulators such as NES, SNES, N64, GBA, etc... Other thing I noticed was OLED vs LCD where OLED has much finer resolutions and higher quality.

Any/all input is appreciated.
  2. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Fascinate is the superior phone IMO. Lack of a camera flash is kind of puzzling, but having full custom ROMs (including custom kernels, which the X will never have) is a major selling point for me personally. Sprint customers are very lucky, they get the same phone with a hardware keyboard and a camera flash (the epic 4g). But you can't go wrong with either the DX or the Fascinate, both very nice phones.
  3. Shill

Shill New Member

AH, no flash on the fascinate? That's is my selling feature.
  4. Shill

Shill New Member

5. FrostMan

FrostMan New Member

Fascinate has an led flash.
  6. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

I just received my fascinate yesterday. I bought this phone mostly on the premise of it's hardware, and potential openness. Argueably, the Galaxy S has some of the best hardware you can buy in a phone today, and I also quite like it's form factor.

Harware:
    + Super AMOLED display for better power usage and daytime viewing.
    + Powerful but not power hungry ARM A8 Cortex Processor.
    + IIRC, the best mobile GPU you can buy in a phone currently.
    + CMOS sensor seems to have very nice light rendering (Possibly backlit???)
    + Connectivity (Bluetooth 3.0, N protocol, FM Radio and DLNA)
    - Wish it had more on-board ROM than 2 GB, but I can't really complain coming from a Droid.
    - Pentile pixel matrix does create some funky patterns on borders of contrasting colors.
    - Compass and GPS seem to have some issues, that hopefully will be worked out with driver updates.
    - Speaker is sub-par to Droid's, but I've heard it's as good or better than the X's.

Form Factor:
    + 4 inch screen is a good compromise in size.
    + Not much larger than my Droid and around two thirds it's thickness.
    + The placement of the power button on the side of the device.
    + The soft touch buttons being farther away from the screen.
    + I like the USB cover for keeping junk out of my ports and keeping th phone looking clean.
    - Would have preferred a soft touch back as opposed to the glossy one. Nothing a silicon case can't fix.

Software:
    +++++++++ Camera app isn't stock Android! My biggest problem with vanilla Android. (It's actually quite good)
    + Some nice features added to the notification bar(power control, phone controls, etc.)
    + Facebook integration is pretty decent.
    + I like some of the editing features in the launcher.
    + Samsung is seeming to embrace the open source community more than other companies. Good for them!!
    + Elastic Scrolling
    - Bing
    - Verizon Bloatware
    - Overall color theme, widgets and icons are pretty tacky in Touchwiz.
    - Where's my "News and Weather" and music widgets?!?!
    - FAT16?!? Really Samsung?

Overall, I think most of my big gripes with the phone will be fixed with software changes, official or not.

I've messed with the Droid X some, but admittedly don't know everything about the device. I did like it's camera and software, but what really put me off on buying it was Motorola's new anti-modding stance and the phone felt too big and awkward to hold, even though on paper it's not much different than the Fascinate. My biggest argument for the Droid X may be that the battery life might be slightly better, but I'm not convinced that the Fascinate actually has better battery life but is getting held back by poorly written software running in the background.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. Shill

Shill New Member

ROM? Can be upgraded with a decent MicroSD card, correct?

GPS and compass. What sort of issues, and is that based off of the stock apps? What if I were to test it with Google Maps?

Bing and Verizon bloatware? Really, Bing on google phone? I'm sure that can be changed easily.

Same with color theme. I'm sure that can be adjusted as well.

Fat16, is a big issue, but can be worked with.

Edit: Also, big +++ on your descriptions. Really helps alot.
  8. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

9. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

The Fasinate is so much better imo. I just played with both at the Verizon store and the Fascinate seemed soooo fast and vibrant (Screen) while the X seemed not as fast and the screen was incredibly dull compared to the fascinate. Games also were alot better on the Fascinate. The camera also is better in the fascinate i think. More megapixels doesn't mean better pictures... So yeah... Fascinate all the way haha
  10. him

him New Member

I have to disagree with the fascinate being better than the X. I happen to own both. I find the fascinate plasticky and cheap feeling. Almost like its about to fall apart in my hands. Droid is built solid. Fascinate does have a flash.

One thing i noticed about that sweet super AMOLED screen...it's grainy. Especially when looking at text. Gaming is similar to where you cant really tell the difference.

I too thought the fascinate was a better phone after playing with it in the store for a few mins but owning one i realize i was wrong. You cant really get a true feel of the phone until you handle it without that security thing on it.

Colors on the fascinate look wiered too. I cant really put my finger on it but its just something about it.
  11. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

Sorry lol but i have to disagree with what you said.Build quality on the Fascinate seems alot better than the X (imo). Gaming is a LITTLE better on the Fascinate from what i've seen. The hummingbird is proven to be a step above the omap.. Also the text isn't grainy at all... If you put your face right on the screen maybe, but i couldn't tell. Colors also look amazing on the super amoled screen. They looked so dull on the Droid X. Again, all of this stuff is what i think, so this is just my 2 cents.
  12. Shill

Shill New Member

Should I let the 2GB vs 8GB be a determining factor? What sort of things can I do if it is unlocked?
  13. him

him New Member

Dont know...i have been using things such as iphone and first droid and build quality on those devices were magnificent. Build quality like i said is plasticky and feels very cheap.
    And from about 8-10 inches even from the home screen i can see the grain in the screen. Dont really think that counts as having my forehead on the screen. Its a lot grainier than my X. Just giving my view on what i have noticed from my time with the facinate.

Could you tell me which game the graphics on the fascinate are better than the droid on. I would like to try them out.

Like i said colors on the facinate just look really strange.
  14. him

him New Member

I wouldn't...once you add 16 or 32 GB card it wont really matter.
  15. Shill

Shill New Member

I'll have to go test the fascinate tomorrow then. If anyone else has tips, please let me know.
  16. Shill

Shill New Member

So, these are the only things different, fill in the blanks if I forgot something.

Speed
    +Fascinate
    -DX

Custimizable
    +Fascinate
    -DX

Screen
    +Fascinate
    -DX

Camera
    +DX
    -Fascinate
    But both can take 720P HD video?

Screen
    +Fascinate
    -DX

Storage
    +DX
    -Fascinate

Bluetooth?
    +Fascinate 3.0
    -DX 2.1

Based on all those, I give up 6GB of storage (won't matter at all to me) and the 3MP of camera. Definitely a no brainer at the moment. What would make me consider the DX again?
  17. Krish

Krish New Member

I tried both X and Fascinate. I got to say after removing a bunch of bloated ware from Fascinate it runs amazing with launcher pro. The screen is like eye candy itself, people are always amazed on how clear everything is on mine. I don't understand where you get the grainy from since i don't have it on mines at all. The camera does have flash and works just as good as 8mp. Only difference is the Size. The phone may be plastic like but its very light and its protected well enough with a case and its what i like. Everyone will have a different opinion its hard to ask on this forum what to pick. Its all on you and you to play with both, read a few reviews. That's what i did and i haven't regretted anything. I'm sure when the development community gets up and running on the Fascinate it will get even better. Also makes you think. Fascinate is this great with 2.1, imagine how great it will be with 2.2 - 3.0. The hardware is very nice the UI is extremely smooth in all areas. To me its pretty much a iphone with android on it.
  18. AtrusNex

AtrusNex New Member

My deciding factors would be:

Screen: The X has a slightly larger screen with a slightly higher resolution but the pixel density is about the same. The Fascinate has a smaller screen, with more vibrant colors, higher contrast, lower power consumption, and better daylight visibility. Most AMOLED displays have a pentile pixel matrix that can cause a slightly grainy appearance on the borders of high contrast colors such as text.

Feel: Some people feel the X is awkward to hold or put in a pocket due to it's strange shape, whilst some people don't like the glossy finish on the Fascinate. Both phones have good build quality and both lack any large amounts of metal components like their predecessors.

Camera: This one is really give and take. The X has a higher resolution and a mechanical shutter for very fast shutter reflex. The CMOS sensor on the Fascinate is much better in lowlight conditions and tends to have more saturated colors while the X can seem comparatively washed out. I personally prefer the Fascinates camera software over any other phone on the market, but the X's software is a marked improvement over the vanilla interface.

Memory: The X has 6 more GB of internal memory to give it a maximum total memory of 40 GB compared to the Fascinate's 34 GB. This could play an important role if you're a person who like to have have hundreds or thousands of applications on your phone. I personally rarely had more that 70-80 applications on my phone at one time and never maxed out my Droid's 256 MB of internal memory so this really isn't an issue for myself. Another point to keep in mind is that the Fascinate's SD card doesn't require the battery to be removed to swap it so it could theoretically be easier to "hot swap" memory cards in the fascinate.

Connectivity: Both phones support wireless N protocol, DLNA and HDMI (although the fascinate require a special adapter to do so), but the Fascinate also supports Bluetooth 3.0 which allows for much higher data rates, range and dramatically better power consumption over Bluetooth 2.0. If you use Bluetooth a lot this could be a deciding factor.

Performance: The Cortex A8 processor is generally considered to be two to three times faster than the over-clocked OMAP processor in the X. The GPU in the fascinate is also noticeably faster than the one in the X. Both phones however, are very fast and you'd be unlikely to notice a big difference except when really pushing the phone or in benchmarks.

Battery Life: The battery life between the two phones is hard to call, as both phones have software issues currently preventing the true maximum battery life of the device of being measured. Current;y though, their battery lives are too close to really be a deciding factor though. Expect a day of heavy usage and up to 2-4 days with light usage.

Microphones: The X has three microphones to supposedly help with noise cancellation while the Fascinate only has the typical one microphone. Some people say that multi-microphone technology is still very experimental and doesn't make much of a difference, although I personally don't know if it does or not. Both phones have above average audio quality in both calls and video recording.

In truth, both phones are great devices and you would be hard pressed to find better phones out there. I personally prefer the form factor and hardware of the Fascinate, but the X certainly has some important.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  19. Shill

Shill New Member

Appreciate it, my Fascinate has been ordered.
  20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea the extra mics do make for good noise cancellation on calls on the X. The extra mics also give excellent audio in videos recordings.

I heard someone else say colors on the Fascinate looked strange, they said neon-like...could be cuz its more "vibrant"...

LCD vs. Amoled..... That will be a preference pick there. And I agree Pentile Matrix needs to be thrown away.

GPS issues on the Samsung phones can be a con for right now. Depends on if its a software or hardware issue.

The lag fix/hack that takes rooting to fix can be seen as a pro and a con..

Which phone one considers the best will be what they consider more important. For me reception is my #1 goal for any of these phones. Everything else comes 2nd...I am glad the Fascinate wasnt out when the X came out...I might still be deciding which one to get right now...lol
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010