Motorola Droid RAZR Source Code Released

jerkwad

Reaction score
Right. Internet argument and taking the high road. Get real.. The razr was stated in press releases as locked per carrier. HTC is locked but usually easily broken. How locking is implemented is up to the manufacturer. Just so happens Moto uses military grade encryption. forgot to mention... the Moto atrix was unlocked last year. So AT&T as a carrier allowed the bootloader to be unlocked and Moto provided the keys.

The nexus line is from google as a proof of concept for new software revisions. More like see what our new OS can do... It's in a developers environment meaning the phone is unlocked and the OS source is released to the public for development purposes. That's googles strategy. It will be unlocked on Verizon because google controls that fact. If not then google doesn't release on Verizon and its not truly a nexus experience... Take the xoom, it was a nexus like pure google experience. Moto locked it but gave the keys to unlock it as it was a pure google experience, similar to the nexus.

Cool story bro! I simply said Motorola sucks because they lock AND encrypt their bootloaders. Am I wrong? If so, that's cool, which phone has a locked/encrypted bootloader that someone has successfully cracked? So which Motorola phone do you know of that we can throw custom kernels on (excluding the OGDroid)? I don't care about the WHY, I care about the what, and the "what" is that there are no bootloaders on a verizon motorola phone - which is what the original mention was about. The guy that posted the question doesn't give a crap about ATT's atrix lol. Your attitude earlier was a bit smug and comes off as immediately argumentative which is not what facilitates a positive discussion on any forum.

Im sure the original poster is getting all kinds of good info from both sides here. Sure, we can blame Verizon for the bootloader, no problem. But we can also blame Motorola for the encryption, while others like HTC give them consumer a fighting chance. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

scrub571

Reaction score
Cool story bro! I simply said Motorola sucks because they lock AND encrypt their bootloaders. Am I wrong? If so, that's cool, which phone has a locked/encrypted bootloader that someone has successfully cracked? So which Motorola phone do you know of that we can throw custom kernels on (excluding the OGDroid)? I don't care about the WHY, I care about the what, and the "what" is that there are no bootloaders on a verizon motorola phone - which is what the original mention was about. The guy that posted the question doesn't give a $hit about ATT's atrix lol. Your attitude earlier was a bit smug and comes off as immediately argumentative which is not what facilitates a positive discussion on any forum.

Im sure the original poster is getting all kinds of good info from both sides here. Sure, we can blame Verizon for the bootloader, no problem. But we can also blame Motorola for the encryption, while others like HTC give them consumer a fighting chance. It's as simple as that.

And my tone was that way due to the poster wanting to blame Moto without having all the facts. Then u jump in with this part the seas and mister moral high ground, bro... To answer your question none on verizon.

Which ROMs have you used that required the bootloader to be unlocked to get better performance or user experience? Darkslide on the X was amazing. As was rubix. We even had CM on the x. Plus liquid's full aosp rom. So my point is unlocked is great but a an awesome user experience can be had with a good rom even if it is stuck using the stock kernel. More so than just stock. With the radio and kernel combos on the tbolt being so confusing I prefer a less is more approach.

HTC does utilize an easier to defeat locking system it appeared until the rezound, which should crack soon. I don't know about Samsung and their locking.

It appears you have all the angles covered on bootloaders and source so have a good turkey day.

jerkwad

Reaction score
It was my fault for using the $ character instead of the S character when paired with "hit" in my previous post ... ill try to behave ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums