Motorola open-sources DROID X code

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-x-ih1.jpg

Well earlier today, we posted the news that Samsung open-sourced the Captivate's code. And I was wondering if Motorola would eventually do the same for its latest and greatest smartphones. Then after a quick Google search, I found that Motorola did just that. Apparently on July 28th, Motorola released the source code for its DROID X. Now I'm not a developer, but i noticed some interesting entries in the 5 page source code library. First off, the kernel source is there, which should make for some fun throughout the dev community. Then I noticed that there are references to the bootloader and the RIL. Could it be this easy? Could this source-code be the key to that locked-down bootloader? Developers, if you would chime in and let us know your thoughts.

Source: Motorola Open Source

Last edited:

dverplank

Reaction score
i would hope so since the source code is no good without an unlocked bootloader!

phatkat66

Reaction score
oh happy days.... I love my X fully stocked but damn do I miss feeling like i just "pimped my ride"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hey hopefully good news to come for droidx rooters.

Feltmacer

Reaction score
I really hope this means an unlocked bootloader. I don't own an X, but another Android phone down the line probably, and I can only hope for any other phone down the line to have unlocked bootloaders

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is good news. I think its another step closer to figuring out the bootloader. Did they do this for the Droid or Milestone?

skydive

Reaction score
I'm not a dev, or even smart, but this doesn't sound bad or neutral, so it must be good.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Gawd...this makes me the X even more. I don't think I can wait til '11...frak.

Sysgod

Reaction score
I am anxiously waiting to get off work to get home to my fedex box containing the DX that arrived a couple hours ago. Now I am going to be double anxious waiting to hear about this breakthrough and if it indeed is what the community needs to unlock the bootloader.

Crosses finger and anxiously waiting!