Motorola Droid Not Charging With USB

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by jesman0, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jesman0

jesman0 New Member

I can't seem to find a computer that will charge my Droid via USB. I have tried many computers at the office today and none of them charge my phone. Is there some setting that I have accidentally disabled that allows USB charging? I am going to have issues with this phone that I otherwise love if I can't USB charge it.
  2. jesman0

jesman0 New Member

Additional info: The computers I am using are Win XP service pack 3 computers. I have installed the drivers on this page, even though I don't think they apply to the A855 USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA and still no charging via USB.
  3. Danthok

Danthok New Member

I'm sure you are doing this but I will mention it anyways. In the handbook it says to make sure it is connected to a high-power USB port, which is pretty much any one coming straight off the motherboard.

I had a no charge issue trying to use a USB hub.

Edit: By handbook I mean the folded up piece of paper that came in the box.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. jesman0

jesman0 New Member

Thanks for the response. I haven't tried using a USB hub, perhaps that will be a solution. I can charge my new BlueAnt Bluetooth headset though with the same ports that won't charge my Droid.
  5. seaman

seaman New Member

Are you 'mounting' your phone to the computer? I can't remember if you need to mount to the computer to charge, but I remember that u have to in order to add files. To mount your droid, plug the phone into the computer, and the USB symbol should appear in the top left corner of your phones screen. Then drag down your notification window. Click on the notification related to the computer, and click 'mount'.

Give that a shot. Don't forget to 'unmount' your droid and stop the usb device on your computer.
  6. jscotti

jscotti New Member

Are you being patient enough to be sure the USB port is not charging? I ask because it takes probably 3-4 times longer to charge off your USB port than staight from the wall. I've been charging my Droid from the USB ports on my laptop without trouble. BTW, you do not need to mount the Droid for it to charge on your USB port. From the wall, it's been charging in about 2 hours and I'd say it took about 6-8 hours to charge on the laptop USB port.
  7. Slighter

Slighter New Member

I had the same problem til I installed the drivers. The full user guide is also down-loadable (PDF) from the same page as the drivers. I get two usb notifications,
    'USB connected" and "USB debugging connected". Click on either for options and mounting for file management.
  8. jesman0

jesman0 New Member

I ended up swapping the cable with a different one at Verizon and it is working now. Thanks everyone.
  9. kapukapper

kapukapper New Member

Okay... I have some odd charge stories:

The included Motorola micro-USB cable charges with my computer and the USB charge plug...
    ...but a Cellet micro-USB cable doesn't charge with either of them. Oddly enough, it still connects for data.

My wife's LG EnV wall-charger works perfectly...
    ...but a Cellet wall-charger makes the touch screen go bananas. (I've since returned that one to Fry's.)

What the heck?
  10. jesman0

jesman0 New Member

My trek down USB charging has taught me that there are Micro USB cables that can either charge, sync, or do both.

The USB cable I had previously, the one that didn't charge, is different than what I have now. The USB cable I have now has a Genuine Motorola hologram on the phone plug. I am guessing the rep gave me a generic one by mistake.

Verizon wants $20 for a second USB charging cable. Surely there is a cheaper 3rd party cable that will charge and sync the Motorola Droid via USB. I have already bought and returned the one at Fry's, the Cellet cable, as well.

I would love it if someone posted a cheap alternative.
  11. REMilk

REMilk New Member

Less Expensive USB Cable

These cables are readily available on eBay. I purchased one a few minutes ago.
  12. deeeelang

deeeelang New Member

BestBuy has a Rocket Fish 18inch cable that has two different usb plugs (two differernt micro), one is for the Droid. It says 19.99, but they are charging 15.99 for it right now. I plug it into my laptop dock station and it works great.
  13. kapukapper

kapukapper New Member

Well, just bought some OEM Motorola cables (SKN6238) and an OEM Motorola charger (SPN5334A) on Amazon.

Last year I got an OEM battery for my old Q from the same company and that worked just fine, so I trust they're the real deal. Wish me luck...
  14. kapukapper

kapukapper New Member

Update! OEM cables charge on a computer just fine!
  15. forceshield

forceshield New Member

Go in and ask for the LG micro usb cable. it was 4.97. I asked if it was the same price if I bought another one. I bought 5.
  16. highball

highball New Member

Just thought I'd add one note since I purchased a similar Rocket Fish cable from BestBuy that I will now be returning. A sales rep told me what I purchased was both a "regular USB cable" and charging cable. It came with a USB mini cable, and a mini (female) to micro (male) adaptor. However when the USB mini cable is used together with the adapter it charges only and will not allow me to mount for data sync. Interestingly though, when I stuck the mini to micro adapter on a mini USB cable that I know works for data sync it worked fine. Looks like the rep was either misinformed or I got a bum cable (or she was being delibrately vauge with the whole "regular" usb thing).
  17. GrooveElements

GrooveElements New Member

Not sure if you resolved your issue or not but same thing happened to me today and I figured it out. I too went to radio shack picked up a basic micro usb cable plugged into my usb and nothing. I tried every port on the computer still nothing. But, I knew it was doing something in my case because the white light where the mini portion of the usb plugs in was lighting up. So I plugged it in again but this time I waited. Surely enough after about 3-4 minutes it powered up and started to charge. So yes I think patience is key =)
  18. Pranilm

Pranilm New Member

I just recently switched to a droid. My previous phone was an iphone. I agree with most of the people in this thread that usb charging works and that its really slow. It does take patience since it took a 30 or seconds the first time i plugged it into usb.

I have an APC portable battery pack (APC Mobile Power Pack, 10Wh) for chargin usb devices. The output of the device is 5v 1.6A. With my iphone it used to charge my phone pretty fast over usb. It actually charged faster than the Apple supplied wall charger for the iphone. (Apple wall charger is rated at 1A). When i plug-in the droid to the same APC battery pack, using the motorola original micro usb supplied with the droid it charges really slow.

So my question (and i'm sure if it belongs in this thread or not) is: If the the droid acts like a USB spec device and only draws as much power as it has "permission" for, then why is the iphone different? Is it something on that can be changed on the phone side?
  19. pdotterw

pdotterw New Member

Motorola Droid USB Charging issues

I have had trouble charging the Moto Droid with some USBs AND especially with some Solar units that have a built in USB port such as the Powerfilm USB and AA battery charger.

I continued to try other solutions for remote charging (want to take the droid backpacking) - found a couple of solutions for remote charging that work with the droid.

First - this unit works fine (Powerflim 5 Watt Solar Folding Solar panels) with the Motorola CAR 12V adapter plugged into it :

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Powerfilm-5-Watt-Folding-Solar-Power-Panel/productinfo/PO-P-F15300N/

Second - a Hand Crank on this radio powers it . Takes a long time - lots of cranking - but does provide power and is a weather radio and flashlight to boot

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Grundig-Eton-FR160-Microlink-Radio-Solar-Crank-AM-FM-Weather-Emergency-Surival-Radio/productinfo/E-P-H551/

Hope that helps define options that work and those that do not.
  20. scbond

scbond New Member

I had this happening on my first Droid/Milestone but didn't have time to check it out as the phone had to be returned for another reason. Just got the new one and I was getting the same problem and it seems it's hugely common.

I did some digging and it turns out that the reason the phone is not mounted or charging is because the phone does not recognise the USB cable being plugged in. Why? Well, task killing applications from the Android Market kill processes on the phone, usually every single one apart from the task managing application itself. One of the processes is a system process called 'USB'.

When you kill the USB process it stops any USB activity from working as the phone doesn't have the ability to recognise the cable. To fix it, just restart the phone so that all the start-up processes run again. Then, go into your task killer and add the USB process to the ignore list that most, if not all of them, have as a feature. If yours doesn't then I highly recommend Task Killer. It has a free or paid version, the only difference as of very recently is that the free version has adverts.
Search tags for this page
charge motorola droid mini with computer
droid charging motorolla
droid mini not charging
droid mini will not charge

droid not charging

droid not charging on usb
droid not charging via usb
motorola droid 0 charge
motorola droid not charging
motorola droid will not charge
motorola mini not charging or turning on