Motorola Droid 2 and Droid 3 to Get New Updates Soon; No ICS Though

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid_3-update-mar-2012.jpg

Motorola is preparing to launch some new updates for both the Droid 2 and the Droid 3 within the next few weeks. Select owners of both devices will soon see soak test emails in their inbox. Once the soak tests finalize, and everything is "hunky dory" then everyone else should start receiving an OTA update. Sadly, neither of these updates will be Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich. In fact, Verizon recently shared a list of devices that they plan on bringing ICS to, and unfortunately, neither the Droid 2 nor the Droid 3 were on that list. Here's a quote from Matt of the Motorola Feedback Network, with some details regarding the Droid 3,

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are inviting owners of the Motorola Droid 3 on Verizon to participate in an early preview of a new software release, and provide feedback. If you are not currently using a Droid 3, please excuse and ignore this email.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey if you wish to take part. Note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners’ Forums to be included. The registration window is can close without notice so please respond as quickly as possible.

This is a confidential test under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this on any public sites.

Thanks — please understand that start times are always fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don’t hear from us right away.

Matt
Motorola Owners’ Forums
Motorola Feedback Network

Source: DroidMatters

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
Good news IMO. At least its not dead in the water. Even a little surprised to the D2 is getting updates. a little faith in Moto has been restored.

B

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I am quite pleased. Obviously Ice Cream Sandwich would be wonderful but I'm not delusional.

My guess is that this is to fix the Android market links. I expect that all the Motorola phones running Gingerbread with this issue will be getting an update soon to fix it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

geoff5093

Reaction score
"This is a confidential test under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this on any public sites."

americanz

Reaction score
shut up geoff. we all know what the the moto terms are. you dont need to post them no one has said anything that shouldnt be said

KingLo

Reaction score
I wonder if this includes my Droid 2 Global... :unsure:
They already started the soak test for the global. It's probaly the same update the D2 is going to recieve soon. (security patchs, break root, break sbf, etc)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
shut up geoff. we all know what the the moto terms are. you dont need to post them no one has said anything that shouldnt be said
Let's be nice, now.

And nice to see these phones are still getting updated. Mine has ICS on it now, so it doesn't really matter to me, but the majority of people do not root. Hopefully ICS follows.