Motion Detector No Longer Functioning After ICS Upgrade

TurtleKnitta

Reaction score
Hello,

The motion detector trigger is no longer working after my ICS update on my Droid Razr. Before that I had battery extender operating with no issues. The triggers are display is off and no movement, which is supposed to then turn off background data and syncing. After the upgrade, the battery extender will trigger every time my display goes off, ignoring the motion detector. Or other times it won't trigger at all, even when sitting on a flat unmoving surface for a long time (I've noticed it after an hour of sitting on the table). I've tried clearing the cache. I've deleted the rule and redone it several times. I've tried disabling and re-enabling. Sometimes it'll work, but it seems random. Before the update to ICS, it had the right sensitivity and worked every time. Currently I'm running Smart Actions version 3.1.5.1.2, which is the most current according to Google Play.

Is there any way to make this work again? It's such a shame to lose it, especially when it was working with the same hardware.

Thanks!

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi TurtleKnitta,
This is a very interesting, our developers would like to troubleshoot this is further with you, but can't on this forum. If you would like us to dive deeper into resolving please sign up on the Motorola forum site http://www.motorola.com/forums/smartactions. Then send me an email (SmartActionsExpert) and I will help you further.

OP
T

TurtleKnitta

Reaction score
Thanks! I've sent along the message - same name on there.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
You've done a great job troubleshooting the defect, really appreciate the comments. Here's a few more suggestions to narrow the scope.

To test if the motion detector is working.
Create a new rule
trigger > motion detector
action > reminder > play notification ringtone
save rule

Don't touch the phone for 2mins(no movement) , the phone should play the reminder notification. If it works then move on to he next two tests. If not, then Houston we have a problem ;-)

The other 2 tests are to add the "reminder" action in the battery extender rule.

Battery extender 1
add action > reminder > play notification ringtone
save rule

Battery extender 2
disable motion detector
add action > reminder > play notification ringtone
save rule

One is with and the other is without motion detector running. Give it a try.

OP
T

TurtleKnitta

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what is going on here. I tried test #1, twice. The ringtone didn't go off either time. But both times the test, where the only trigger was motion and the only action was a ringtone, said it was active when I went to look back at the phone. And then when I shake the phone, it slowly turns back from active to ready as I watch. That, combined with the trigger working previously, seems to indicate that the actual hardware is working. I think...

Last edited:
OP
T

TurtleKnitta

Reaction score
I went ahead and quickly did the last two tests. It went off the first time (battery extender #1) after a few minutes, the second time (battery extender #2) right after I turned off the display.

So then I tried the first test again and it went off right after the display went off. I picked it up and had to shake it a lot to get it to realize it was being moved and it deactivated. I put it down and it went off after a few minutes this time. But again I had to shake it hard to get it to deactivate.

It's as if my motion detector is stuck, somehow. I haven't dropped it, however. And it's only a week old. But I swear it had worked all week after I put it down for a bit and picked it back up, without having to shake it so much.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm, this is weird. I will ask our testing department if they ever encountered a "sticky" motion detector scenario. It's probably not a hardware issue.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
On first pass the testing test has not encountered this issue. I'm following up with the development team.

OP
T

TurtleKnitta

Reaction score
I had it off for the past couple of days, because I got fed up. I tested it again today and the motion detector either would say it wasn't moving when it was or wouldn't say it had stopped moving. Mostly what happens is if I have it trigger with motion detector, I can pick it up and swing it around pretty vigorously without it deactivating. Or sometimes it won't activate at all, even when sitting flat on a desk for upwards of 10 minutes.

It's really a shame. It was working fine before and really saving me battery life. The phone isn't even two weeks old yet.