Modifying Car Dock to Allow Video

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone done it? Should be receiving my car dock today. The video quality on the DROID is pretty awesome for what it is and I'd really like to use it in the car for when I'm futzing around or whatever.

If no one has done it yet, I'll be doing it soon. ;)

heem

Reaction score
I had thought about doing it. would just be a little hole to drill, and there doesnt appear to be anything structural there to get in the way.

I did see an app that records and hold the last 60 seconds of your driving, and saves it upon key press. Says only works on 1.5 though, havent tried to see what it does on 2.0

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had thought about doing it. would just be a little hole to drill, and there doesnt appear to be anything structural there to get in the way.

I did see an app that records and hold the last 60 seconds of your driving, and saves it upon key press. Says only works on 1.5 though, havent tried to see what it does on 2.0
records and holds? so like, it buffers that 60s while you're driving and then stops recording when you stop, in case you're in an accident, type thing? that woud be interesting.

i'm mostly interested in the video while driving capability for this
3235459410_1d8cbb67a5_b.jpg

heem

Reaction score
yup, buffers the last 60s until you press the save button. apparently it also uploads directly to youtube (not sure if thats optional, would hope so.)

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
now what would make that app impressive, is if it would kick off automatically, whenever docked and run in the background while the navigation app remains on top.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
modified. camera can see everything. i did kind of a hack job, need to clean it up.

DSC_6365.jpg

DSC_6369.jpg

DSC_6370.jpg

DSC_6371.jpg

techguru

Reaction score
modified. camera can see everything. i did kind of a hack job, need to clean it up.

Modified mine for Video/Camera usage today too, also modified the Car dock to work with my Verizon Shell/Case. Haven't done the clean up either but it works perfectly!

Can you post pictures of the mod you made to work with the shell?

Alan

techguru

Reaction score

Hmm... Says the paid version captures 600 seconds, but I can't find the paid version on the market. Maybe an upgrade link in the app. 600 seconds is enough to give you a chance to wake up from the shock from the airbag and stop the recording before you lose the data.

Would be cool if it would use the accelerometer and if it detects a sudden deceleration of > 2 G's pop up a box asking if you want to stop the recording, and stop it 30 seconds later if you don't respond (need to verify 2G's is the appropriate setting. Has to be more than you would get from hard acceleration, but maybe should trigger from really hard braking. Should be able to adjust to your driving style).

Alan

techguru

Reaction score

Hmm... Says the paid version captures 600 seconds, but I can't find the paid version on the market. Maybe an upgrade link in the app. 600 seconds is enough to give you a chance to wake up from the shock from the airbag and stop the recording before you lose the data.

Would be cool if it would use the accelerometer and if it detects a sudden deceleration of > 2 G's pop up a box asking if you want to stop the recording, and stop it 30 seconds later if you don't respond (need to verify 2G's is the appropriate setting. Has to be more than you would get from hard acceleration, but maybe should trigger from really hard braking. Should be able to adjust to your driving style).

Alan

I should have watched the video before commenting. It already has the G-force trigger, and found where to buy the full version. https://slideme.org/application/bemeblackbox

Now just need an Android 2.0 version (they updated their other apps to Android 2 this week, so hopefully won't be long).

Alan

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Can you post pictures of the mod you made to work with the shell?

Alan

Ok, I dug out my old camera, kinda hard to take pics of the Droid in the Car Dock WITH the Droid :)

Oh, since I haven't "cleaned" it up yet, don't laugh too hard when you see it :). Sorry for the crappy night pics, will try to get some better daylight pics tomorrow.

You can't tell in the pics but I made a small slot in the Shell case so the "tooth" of the lock tab engaged into it the top of the shell case making it even more secure. Even though I removed a lot of support area it is rock solid in the dock and doesn't move even on the rough gravel roads around here.

If I had to do it over again I could do it without removing so much material, lessons learned from doing it the first time. When I find a great deal later on I will do a minimal version. But most likely there will be a better solution available by then so this will do for now.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Looks like you took about as much/material off as I did. Initially I missed the center so I had to make the hole bigger. ABS plastic isn't exactly cooperative with drill bits.

Last edited:
OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
took some video on my way into work this morning. i had a hard time positioning the phone where 100% of the mount was not in the picture. i've got a little edge of suction cup showing, so i need to play around with the angles to see if i can get a better position.

videos in the dark seem to do ok, but the noise reduction reduces so much of the detail, the videos won't be much use for anything other than youtube.

biteme

Reaction score
The Bemeblackbox app doesn't show in the market anymore, any one know what happened? I wanted to download it.