[MOD] Better GPS EC01

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
All credit goes to calebv2 over at XDA for this find....

Orig link: [MOD] Better GPS EC01 - xda-developers

[MOD] Better GPS EC01
For those of us that are not getting better gps on EC01 or various Rom's like me this fix is for you.

Instructions: With Root Explorer (or similar app) go to /etc/gps.conf

In Root Explorer long press on the file and select open in text editor

Change the first line from: NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org to NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

Then Download GPS aids from the market and run that for even better results

Save changes and reboot

Heresa quick video I made on this mod and GPS on EC01: http://www.youtube.com/user/NSMetroid#p/a/u/0/y8MkZjMZqvs

ENJOY

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Works!

ec01 debloated
enderst special kernel
uv50 oc1.2

870hans

Reaction score
It says read only file in my root explorer. How do I get around that?

Sent from my 2.9.2 Fascinate

prenedo

Reaction score
My GPS will NOT lock on, 'my location is currently (always) unavailable'. It was like this stock, on sc2.9, 2.9.2, and most recently followed 'just a suggestion' thread, loaded ec01 debloated with comavolt kernel. GPS Aids and GPS Status do not help. Aids will not d/l XTRA, only the forced mode (LTO). Any suggestions?

Oh, and I flashed this through CWM to no prevauil

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
My GPS will NOT lock on, 'my location is currently (always) unavailable'. It was like this stock, on sc2.9, 2.9.2, and most recently followed 'just a suggestion' thread, loaded ec01 debloated with comavolt kernel. GPS Aids and GPS Status do not help. Aids will not d/l XTRA, only the forced mode (LTO). Any suggestions?

Oh, and I flashed this through CWM to no prevauil
In your menu/settings you have all the GPS settings turned on? did you manually go in and change the line of text in root explorer or supermanager as the OP says

EDIT: also try dialing *228 option 1 and then *22891 to activate and update PRL

prenedo

Reaction score
Thanks again :) Should GPS AIDS be successful in d/l'ing XTRA mode?

thanks for the quick responses

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score

I use GPS status app...yea it should auto download A-GPS XTRA data when you open it..go into the GPS status app settings and set it to auto download the XTRA data etc...then in the app hit menu/tools/manage a-gps state and hit reset then again and hit download

prenedo

Reaction score

I use GPS status app...yea it should auto download A-GPS XTRA data when you open it..go into the GPS status app settings and set it to auto download the XTRA data etc...then in the app hit menu/tools/manage a-gps state and hit reset then again and hit download

yeah, I keep doing that, and the aboved mentioned methods (the gps mod instructions in OP and dialed *228...) Could a GPS file be corrupt or somehting like that? I don't understand it, it will not find me no matter where I'm at. When I first followed the 'just a suggestion' thread and started from scratch, it worked for like the first reboot and 15 reboots later it still isn't working/downloading XTRA data

OP
TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score

yeah, I keep doing that, and the aboved mentioned methods (the gps mod instructions in OP and dialed *228...) Could a GPS file be corrupt or somehting like that? I don't understand it, it will not find me no matter where I'm at. When I first followed the 'just a suggestion' thread and started from scratch, it worked for like the first reboot and 15 reboots later it still isn't working
hmm...yea that strange...has to be something obvious though because the odds of a GPS file being corrupt are beyond rare...
Im gonna make a full video about GPS tonight on my youtube channel including this hack/mod and post it up hoping to clear up the issues

prenedo

Reaction score
Sweet. Sounds good to me. I just find it odd that it will not successfully D/L XTRA data (at least through GPS Aids) and I've tried everything I could think of (+ it used to work, and will work on like every 20th reboot from what I've noticed... IDK...) Thanks for the input Tapout, much appreciated....

vi3tboiii54

Reaction score
Excellent video tutorial tapout it helped cleared up some confusion but i have a couple more questions. Does it matter which app you use to keep GPS information fresh, i have trouble downloading native XTRA but the forced option works with GPS Aids.

EDIT: also try dialing *228 option 1 and then *22891 to activate and update PRL

*22899 and 22891 are the same in which they update roaming capabilities why need to run both of them?

prenedo

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for the vid. Very informative/helpful. I figured out my issue... my GPS wont lock on at my work and rarely at my house. So it was a location thing. I can lock GPS in all day long on my drive home and when I go out. I've just always messed with it at work. I'm still having same issues as ^ GPS Aids will not D/L XTRA mode.