Mobile Hotspot Disconnecting

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our home ISP has been having problems the past few days and we called about it. They are working on an issue and tonight the DSL is down for the count. I thought it would be the perfect time to check out the Mobile Hotspot. Well, it connects great....for about 5 minutes, then mysteriously it disconnects. It's not because I'm idle or anything. Anyone who has used Mobile Hotspot having any issues with it disconnecting on them?

HTC.user

Reaction score
same problem

i have exactly the same problem but i have a HTC Desire-S. It times out every 5 minuites which is annoying when your buying or downloading something.
when it does it you have to refresh it by pressing the button on the top of the phone to get it off standby and then unlock the screen and it comes back on straight away. (and it lasts another 5 minuites) you can see the little 3G icon at the top flashing as it searches again. also, i THINK, when you tether it (by connecting it to pc with the usb cable) i don't think it times out and speed is stronger. Also when on the portable wifi hotspot page on the phone, click on menu then click on advanced, click power mode and click "always on" try turning phone on and off incase it's that.
theres one thing i still need to try that might be the problem- a setting in the sleep mode of the phone, like one of those "after 10 minuites of inactivity" things that happens after sleep mode where it goes into power saving, it might be programmed to turn it off to save power, please post it if you find the answer though. i also havn't tried if it's the "always on mobile data" in settings

theres a lot of posts about this problem with HTC, people need to report it to them.

GDP

Reaction score
Yeah, I have the same problem. I took it to verizon and the only thing they could do was send me a refurbished thunderbolt. I just got this one so it's brand new. why would I give it up for a refurbished one that may or may not have the same issue? It's really annoying

Sent from my Thunderbolt

HTC.user

Reaction score
SOLUTION!
to tethering/ hotspot internet timeouts/ disconnections:

• Enable always-on mobile data.
  • And enable Background data.
(on your phone)

sorry if this wasn't the problem

Divotman

Reaction score
We had a problem like that after upgrading to IE 9. Reverted back to 8 and immediately the problem stopped.

dogboy

Reaction score
I have same problem as I surf the net and watch video.

I called Verizon technology support about issue. They told me to make change wifi setting and will solve the problem, but it nothing happen. I'll have to call again. Any clue to solve the problem?