MIUI Torch Shortcut

Stoneddave

Reaction score
First and foremost, thank you to all the devs who work on writing ROMs for this phone, us hard keyboard addicts are a dying breed, we need all the love we can get. But one thing I had a question about as well as a suggestion to all of you if it were reasonably doable. One of the features of MIUI that I loved the most, as small of a thing as it is, I found it to be incredibly useful, and TBH was one of the biggest selling points to me for MIUI, is the ability to turn on the torch from your lockscreen by holding the home button. I don't know anything about developing ROMs or any of this stuff, I'm just a flashing addict who greatly appreciates all you guys do the community. I just figured, if someone could figure out how get that working and implement it into their ROM, that would be a pretty big thing to me and probably many others. I know it seems small and stupid, but it really is extremely convenient to be able to whip your phone out and hold the home button to enable a bright ass flashlight whenever you need it, as opposed to unlocking and then going into the app or using a pulldown bar toggle. So just throwing that out there. Again, I know nothing about devving ROMs and have no idea if this would be a tough task to pull off and I know you guys all do your work for free and cannot thank you all enough, but I figured I'd make a suggestion, just to see, cause that is one feature lacking on every single ROM that I know of, aside from MIUI, and it's a feature I love dearly, so if anyone could make it happen, that would be amazing. Thanks again for everything guys, you all do amazing work and definitely help us get the full potential out of our phones.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
First and foremost, thank you to all the devs who work on writing ROMs for this phone, us hard keyboard addicts are a dying breed, we need all the love we can get. But one thing I had a question about as well as a suggestion to all of you if it were reasonably doable. One of the features of MIUI that I loved the most, as small of a thing as it is, I found it to be incredibly useful, and TBH was one of the biggest selling points to me for MIUI, is the ability to turn on the torch from your lockscreen by holding the home button. I don't know anything about developing ROMs or any of this stuff, I'm just a flashing addict who greatly appreciates all you guys do the community. I just figured, if someone could figure out how get that working and implement it into their ROM, that would be a pretty big thing to me and probably many others. I know it seems small and stupid, but it really is extremely convenient to be able to whip your phone out and hold the home button to enable a bright ass flashlight whenever you need it, as opposed to unlocking and then going into the app or using a pulldown bar toggle. So just throwing that out there. Again, I know nothing about devving ROMs and have no idea if this would be a tough task to pull off and I know you guys all do your work for free and cannot thank you all enough, but I figured I'd make a suggestion, just to see, cause that is one feature lacking on every single ROM that I know of, aside from MIUI, and it's a feature I love dearly, so if anyone could make it happen, that would be amazing. Thanks again for everything guys, you all do amazing work and definitely help us get the full potential out of our phones.
use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwiZGUuajR2ZWxpbi5ub3RpZmljYXRpb25Ub2dnbGUiXQ..

OP
S

Stoneddave

Reaction score
Thanks for the response but that wasn't what I was getting at. I already use the "Power Toggles" app for the same purpose that this app appears to serve. What I was talking about in the OP is the ability to turn on the torch from the lockscreen by holding the home button. I had MIUI on my Droid 2 and all I had to do was turn the screen on (to the lockscreen), and then hold the home button for a second or so, and then the torch would turn on until I released the home button. It's a seemingly insignificant feature but once you have been spoiled with it, you start to realize how incredibly useful it is, and I'm just surprised that no one else (that I know of) has adopted it for their ROMs. Again, like I said, I know nothing about devving, so what I'm asking may prove to be more difficult than it is worth. But based on what I saw as far as how it worked on MIUI, when you would hold the home button for a second or so, on the lockscreen, the torch app would appear on the screen and activate until the home button was released; if that lends any useful input as far as determining how and what they did on that ROM to make it work. So yeah, that's it.

And I just want to be clear with all you developers that I'm not trying to be pushy or trying to seem ungrateful, I'm just throwing an idea out there, that I think would do a lot for the popularity of your ROMs in the long run. I'm telling you, it seems like a dumb little feature but once you have it, you'll never know how you lived without it, it's hands down, the most useful ROM feature I've seen since toggles in the notification bar. If it can't happen or is too difficult to do or no one wants to take a stab at it, I totally understand and respect that, but it couldn't hurt for me to at least inquire about it and suggest it to you all. I'm quite sure that those who manage to make this work and implement it into their ROMs, will get a pleasant burst of support, as it seems to be a very rare yet incredibly useful feature.

Last edited:

Technix2002

Reaction score
That sounds like a really cool idea, I wish I knew how to customize the ICS lock screen. I'd replace the camera or messaging unlock option with the torch!