Messed up entering gmail into regular mail account, can't delete

TWC42

Reaction score
Just got the better half a new Incredible 4g, and after setting it up with her Gmail account, I entered the same account username and password under the regular mail account. Now she gets notices twice for new email. Went into settings and tried to delete the account under regular mail, and I get an error message that the server cannot be contacted. Tried this several times both in WiFi and with a 4G connection. Same error message. It will not let me delete the account, I cannot change the username or password. The only thing I found to do was to set the sync on this account to manual only.
I'm guessing that because this is the Gmail account associated with the phone, it won't let me change anything, and the error message that the server cannot be contacted is bogus.
Is there any way to delete this "account' from the regular mail, short of doing a factory reset? A factory reset would be painful.
Thanks for any help.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
try this . settings- apps - email-( i think those are steps) then hit the clear data button . the gmail account has to stay ( on the gmail app) because that is where the phone syncs

marleyinoc

Reaction score
Have you tried force stopping, clearing data and cache, (throw in a reboot) in the email app? Seems that might work.

Edit: oops.. what Justin said.
___
Bionic ICS 6.7.232 stock

OP
TWC42

TWC42

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses. I tried again what I had tried unsuccessfully a half a dozen times, just going into settings and deleting the account. This time it miraculously worked, and the Gmail account associated with the phone is intact.
Perhaps one has to threaten the phone with a factory reset, and then it obeys. :biggrin:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
glad you got it fixed .. :)