1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Messed up entering gmail into regular mail account, can't delete

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible 4G' started by TWC42, Jul 17, 2012.

1. TWC42

TWC42 New Member

Just got the better half a new Incredible 4g, and after setting it up with her Gmail account, I entered the same account username and password under the regular mail account. Now she gets notices twice for new email. Went into settings and tried to delete the account under regular mail, and I get an error message that the server cannot be contacted. Tried this several times both in WiFi and with a 4G connection. Same error message. It will not let me delete the account, I cannot change the username or password. The only thing I found to do was to set the sync on this account to manual only.
    I'm guessing that because this is the Gmail account associated with the phone, it won't let me change anything, and the error message that the server cannot be contacted is bogus.
    Is there any way to delete this "account' from the regular mail, short of doing a factory reset? A factory reset would be painful.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

try this . settings- apps - email-( i think those are steps) then hit the clear data button . the gmail account has to stay ( on the gmail app) because that is where the phone syncs
  3. marleyinoc

marleyinoc New Member

Have you tried force stopping, clearing data and cache, (throw in a reboot) in the email app? Seems that might work.

Edit: oops.. what Justin said.
    ___
    Bionic ICS 6.7.232 stock
  4. TWC42

TWC42 New Member

Thanks for your quick responses. I tried again what I had tried unsuccessfully a half a dozen times, just going into settings and deleting the account. This time it miraculously worked, and the Gmail account associated with the phone is intact.
    Perhaps one has to threaten the phone with a factory reset, and then it obeys. :biggrin:
  5. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

glad you got it fixed .. :)
Search tags for this page
can't remove gmail associated with apps
cannot view gmail on htc incredible
cant delete previous gmail account
delete gmail account on droid incredible 2
droid 4g is not letting me delete email accounts
droid incredible 2 gmail delete account

droid incredible cannot remove email account

gmail app cant delete email account samsung s3