More gmail problems

tnabulsi

Reaction score
here is the response i got from HTC:

Unfortunately, the only thing left that I can advise to do would be the factory data reset of the device. Because this will erase all personal data from your device and restore the operating system to a "Like New" state

domesdkg

Reaction score
here is the response i got from HTC:

Unfortunately, the only thing left that I can advise to do would be the factory data reset of the device. Because this will erase all personal data from your device and restore the operating system to a "Like New" state

That's most unfortunate. I've run across the same problem with my Mom's rezound. Judging by the previous responses that's at least 3 of the phone with the problem, so you'd think HTC would be more forthcoming with help. The problem seems to have cropped up following the update to ICS, anyone else notice a similar timing?

tomahan

Reaction score
I have had the exact same problem with the mail app as others have described here. I deleted all the data for the app to start over and both my yahoo and gmail accounts were cleared. I also rebooted the phone before proceeding with setting up the accounts from scratch in the mail app. However, now when I enter the login information from scratch to start over and setup up the accounts anew, I get an error message telling me that I need to turn on the mobile network and presents a Settings button, when I click on the settings button my mobile network is already turned on as I expected. Disabling WiFi, then Mobile network to have only one or both turned on doesn't resolve the issue. The mail accounts work fine in the individual Yahoo and Gmail apps, not just the combined mail app. Also, I'm now running ICS

jaoros

Reaction score
I changed my password on the web site - but when I try to update my password on my Rezound I get the "warning 401 Unauthorized". I get email fine on my computer account. When I try to download gmail mesages on the phone I get "log in failed" but if I check the gmail under applications the message is there. Also, I cant figure out how to log in to my account on the phone so that I can enter my new passwod. I tried deleting the account but don't wan't to do a factory reset. My verizon.net mail comes through fine.

Found this thread and have the same issue. Just received my new Incredible 4G, coming from the original Incredible.
On my last phone this was not a problem, I was able to add my Gmail account to the HTC mail app without a problem,
Funny thing is I did find I can add my Gmail account IF I put in a bogus name in the "email address" field.
It seems to work so far as it still has a files for "user name and "password" that I put the correct info in.
I can't delete the 1st Gmail account that is in the HTC mail app, but at least I can get my gmails in this app now.
like WTF???

John

erroyer

Reaction score
this occurred before the upgrade to ICS

The problem seems to have cropped up following the update to ICS, anyone else notice a similar timing?

No, this problem happened for me when I got my Rezound, which was several weeks before the Verizon upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. There are several other problems I'm having with ICS, but this isn't one of them.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Count me in!! Just got a replacement Rezound for one that got washed and it is doing this exact same thing with the native mail app and my yahoo account. Do any of you have a good fix yet??

Chris

dogsledracer

Reaction score
I saw this thread while searching for help setting up my Droid Incredible 4G LTE. I was having the same issues -- I could not set up email accounts in the Mail app. I would get different error messages, "Login Failed' or "Authentication Error", blah blah blah. Each time I set up the addresses, I'd get an error message. I took it to Verizon, and the guy there told me I would have to take it to the IT dept. at my employer because one of the addresses is an imap acct. I knew the particular setting for the acct (since I'd already set it on the other Incredible we have.) He was USELESS!

WELL..........after 3 weeks, I finally got got email addresses set up in the GMAIL app even though one of the email addresses is NOT a gmail address. DancingNexus I don't know what the problem was with that phone, I was able to set the same email addresses up in another Droid Incredible 4G LTE. (Exact same style phone). :icon_ lala: Hope you all are able to solve you issues with this! :biggrin:

bobsmith30332

Reaction score
Hey everybody today is your lucky day :) I registered this account just so I could give you the solution that worked for me. I just got an incredible 2 (running 2.3.4 I think), added my gmail account to the "sync and accounts" screen. This gave me access to Play apps or whatever. Then it was time to configure my gmail with the builtin mail app right? Wrong. I got 401 - Unauthorized which is what led me to google searching and finding this thread. I tried a million things..well only a few actually :)

So click Mail then you get to select your mail provider. This is the key. Don't choose gmail. Choose Other (Pop/IMAP). Then enter your gmail address and password. It continued on and sync'd properly and now everything is great. So the lesson here is that there is some bug with the gmail specific account profile. Hopefully these instructions will help someone else get around this annoying bug!

greencat2

Reaction score
I think I found the answer. I went to settings -> Apps -> Mail (it's under All)

Did a force stop then clear data. When back to the Mail app and it was clear of all accounts. Setup gmail by choosing POP account. I think the problem comes from the first setup and the phone is searching for an existing account. I think where ever it is finding the account it is bring in bad data.

jagbender

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix! I was having the same problems! Stopped mail cleared cache. and reset all email account using the POP / IMAP tab Works great