memory management

dadarkside

Reaction score
i have an memory issue and i'm wondering if there is something i can do to fix it.

i will use a browser (xscope in this case) and have a lot of tabs open. i go to another app--lets say appbrain. when i go back to xcsope it reloads all of the tabs i have open. it appears as though android is closing xscope to free up memory for appbrain.

this really pisses me off because there are tons of things in memory that i would rather have closed instead of the browser. ive recently went on a unintstall killing spree and uninstalled all apps that i saw were in memory (killing them doesn't work because they come back). i thought this would give me more free memory so that the os doesn't kill off the browser so fast.

this didn't work. it looks like the os allocated more memory to the apps that were left in memory.

i read recently that froyo made android kill off background apps faster but this is ridiculous. i commonly switch from the browser to [any app] and then back to the browser only to find that it has been closed... yet again.

does anyone know a system setting either in the os or the app itself where i could set the priority of the process so that it doesn't get killed so fast? or can i set an app to never be killed by android due to low memory?

Technoman

Reaction score
i have an memory issue and i'm wondering if there is something i can do to fix it.

i will use a browser (xscope in this case) and have a lot of tabs open. i go to another app--lets say appbrain. when i go back to xcsope it reloads all of the tabs i have open. it appears as though android is closing xscope to free up memory for appbrain.

this really pisses me off because there are tons of things in memory that i would rather have closed instead of the browser. ive recently went on a unintstall killing spree and uninstalled all apps that i saw were in memory (killing them doesn't work because they come back). i thought this would give me more free memory so that the os doesn't kill off the browser so fast.

this didn't work. it looks like the os allocated more memory to the apps that were left in memory.

i read recently that froyo made android kill off background apps faster but this is ridiculous. i commonly switch from the browser to [any app] and then back to the browser only to find that it has been closed... yet again.

does anyone know a system setting either in the os or the app itself where i could set the priority of the process so that it doesn't get killed so fast? or can i set an app to never be killed by android due to low memory?

I don't have this problem with the default stock browser. When I go back to it all of my pages are still open unless I close them down.

Reaction score
I don't have this problem with the default stock browser. When I go back to it all of my pages are still open unless I close them down.

Same.

OP:
That is one of the reasons I stayed away from that browser. In reading deep into the reviews, lots of people were complaining about similar issues. Things like the pages constantly refreshing and the browser freezing a lot.

I use either Dolphin HD or the stock browser until they get off their asses and release Chrome for Android. =P

OP
dadarkside

dadarkside

Reaction score
Memory Management 2

I made a post about a month ago located here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/86620-memory-management.html

I can't believe i'm the only one who has this issue.

To put it simple, android's memory management sucks.

The problem:
I use a browser with multiple tabs open and then switch to another application. The os kills the browser for memory needs. I go back to the browser and have to wait for all tabs to re-download and then render. This takes a looong time if you aren't connected to wifi.
This problem isn't just one browser. I've tried stock, xscope, xscope newer version, dolphin, dolphin hd, opera mini. This issue doesn't just happen with the browser but with any app that is pushed to the background. It's just really noticable in the browser because of the long wait time to reload the tabs.

What I've Done To try to rememdy the Issue:
I've done three things so far to try to fix the problem.
1-Rooted the phone to uninstall bloatware so the memory is free
-the OS sees free memory and starts loading whatever apps it can into. the memory stays full and kills the browser when more memory is needed (argh!)
2-Use system panel to kill inactive apps before/while running the browser to prevent the browser from getting the axe.
-this works... until the os says "look free memory, let's load it up". memory gets full, os kills the browser (argh!)
3-Used auto memory Killer. This has been thus far the best solution. It allows you to decide when android kills memory but you still have to manually kill some apps because the browser can fall into at least 4 memory categories.
-if you forget to kill those other apps in memory, the browser still gets the axe.

The solution??:
Is there away to mark an application as "never close" or "close me last". Is there any setting in a particular browser to keep it from being shut down? I know some apps have a "Keep in foreground/Display notification" to keep the application in memory.

I cannot be the only one who has faced this issue? Am I being OCD over the memory? I think this "always keep the memory full" adage is the worst thing to hit OS technology. Why do you think task killers became so freaking popular? Leave the memory free and allow me to choose what's loaded into it. /rant

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Threads merged. If you already have an existing thread, why wold you create another one?

I also moved it to a more appropriate area.