Media drive?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
How can you transfer files from the S4 to a computer when plugged into a computer? I have a customer that tried it multiple times with no luck. He does have an SD card, but would rather not take it out every time.
I know with my Motorola, when I plug it in it automatically is a USB drive. Does Samsung require a program being installed?

Sent from my Droid Maxx

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make sure his drivers are up to date. Once the s4 is plugged in it should be read as a media device and should be able to drag and drop pretty much like a standard flash drive.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
When you plug the GS4 into the PC, on the S4 dropdown menu, you'll see an option to connect as a hard drive or just for charging. Make sure the former is checked. It should work just like any external USB drive.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
There was no drop down option on the phone. He has tried it on Windows XP, 7, and 8

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
There's no drop down menu with all the notifications when you swipe down from the top?

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nope, nothing. Just tried it again and all it did was charge both the s4 and s3

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
At the top of every screen, do you see the time, the # of connection bars and where it says 3g or 4g? Do you see that at the top? You should be able to drag that down. Are you saying you can't? Or it isn't there?

tommyg562000

Reaction score
My note 2 does the same thing as Jackie is describing. Nothing in the notification tray when plugged into any PC. But it charges just fine. I read somewhere that it could be a bad USB board on the phone, but I don't know for sure. I purchased a new USB board from eBay and I still have the same issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tommyg562000

Reaction score
At least on mine it does pull down, just don't get the media options. When I first got the phone it did work as you describe bluesman.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would uninstall the drivers on the PC, restart, and then try plugging the phone in again. Hopefully the drivers reinstall automatically and you'll be good to go.

While you're restarting the computer, you might as well do a battery pull for a good minute on the phone.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I would also try a different USB cable. I know on my Note 3 and even back on my razr, some of the USB cables did not work properly for transferring files to my laptop but they always seemed to charge my phone!

tommyg562000

Reaction score
I don't believe that is a requirement, but I have it enabled and it does not rectify the issue. Also, I have tried so many cables lol, but to no avail.