Meaning of Root?

n2qrthorse

Reaction score
I was looking through the boards and hear alot of mention of "Root" What does this mean?

misaac

Reaction score
Since someone couldn't give the OP a plain and simple answer, I'll do it.

Android is linux based. Linux has a "super user" account called root. Rooting or rooted means that the user/owner has super user access on the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
And that may not answer the OP's question at all, because while that answer is accurate and factual, it doesn't get into any of the nuts and bolts of what root actually is. Ergo the link I posted.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
And that may not answer the OP's question at all, because while that answer is accurate and factual, it doesn't get into any of the nuts and bolts of what root actually is. Ergo the link I posted.

Question, so with the latest update. Am I correct in that the rooting process will change?

misaac

Reaction score

You may be correct. But since he/she is a new user and just asked for the meaning of root, my guess what that he/she didn't know the basic definition.

And I apologize for my previous comment being as rude as it was.