May have soft bricked my Rezound

DriodDude

Reaction score
Last night I flashed newts one xxx 3.2.1, then the 3.2.1 update, then the boot img for rls 2+. I followed these directions from XDA after having trouble getting it to boot. When I flashed the boot img, it brought me back to HBoot and asked if I wanted to install the update, so I hit yes. The rom booted up just fine, but then about ninety seconds after it's booted up, it reboots. This happens every time the rom boots. I can use the phone as normal, up until it reboots. When I boot back into HBoot, there is no option to boot to recovery, it still asks me if I want to install the update. If I hit yes, it installs it, boots up and the same reboot problem ensues. If I hit no, it just reboots back into the rom and the same reboot problem ensues.

All help is appreciated.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is either due to the firmware not being compatible(ICS ROM with GB firmware) which is solved by the old firmware patch or you need to re-flash the kernel. Sometimes when you flash the kernel you may not see the "Mainver error" this is solved by the mainver fix.

OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
This is either due to the firmware not being compatible(ICS ROM with GB firmware) which is solved by the old firmware patch or you need to re-flash the kernel. Sometimes when you flash the kernel you may not see the "Mainver error" this is solved by the mainver fix.

I had an early version of Clean ROM ICS before this, so I wouldn't think it's firmware incompatibility.

How would I go about flashing a zip if I don't have access to recovery? Should flashing a new recovery get rid of the 'apply update' message i get in HBoot? That's all i can seem to find.

Last edited:
OP
D

DriodDude

Reaction score
Well, issue resolved, for now. I threw the sd card into my laptop and there was a new file named PH98IMG.zip that I had not put there myself. I deleted the file, and when i plugged it back into the rezound, it stopped asking me if I wanted to "install the update" in HBoot. Now that I had access to recovery, I reflashed the rom > update > boot img, and it booted up just fine. However, this was all done without a verizon account attatched to the Rezound. I'm not sure if if that made a difference or not, I guess I'll find out soon. But now, it doesn't restart on it's own.