Did I mess up

Allstar

Reaction score
The other day I downloaded CleanRom ICSE 3.7, it is a nice sleek rom just had some bugs. So I went into Amon Ra to and tried to restore my nandroid backup I made of my stock rom that was unlocked and rooted. It said it completed, then asked to reboot. Every time it would would boot to the HTC screen and then it would go to a blank screen and stick there. When I booted using down arrow/power, it would come up on the Hboot option and load an image and ask to reboot and continued in this process. Did I do something wrong.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Even when you restore a backup you still need to flash the kernel. If you have the kernel from that ROM in boot.img format, you flash it with "fastboot flash boot boot.img" . If you have it in PH98IMG.zip form, drop it on your external SD and reboot into HBOOT(Power off, then power on holding power and volume down). If you don't have it at all, you can cheat if you backed up the boot partition. Steal boot.img from your nandroid and flash it with fastboot(same as above)

OP
A

Allstar

Reaction score
That is what I thought. But I had that thought after I was already having issues and needed to get to sleep because I had a 15 hour drive ahead of me.

brianjcohen

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing as the OP and so I'm in the same situation. However I'm not sure I understand how to fix the problem; I can't seem to get the phone into a state where I can flash the boot.img from my PC because I'm in an update loop. Like the OP, when I boot with power+voldown it automatically jumps into loading a PH* image and asking if I want to update. If I say yes, it applys the update and prompts me to reboot. If I say no, it says "Cannot update" and prompts me to reboot. At any step in this process if I try to flash the boot.img from my PC I get "device not found".

I googled around and it seems like if I replace the PH* file on the SD card I might be able to get out of this -- would this mean I'd need to go buy an adapter that lets me mount my microSD card on my PC?

Any help much appreciated! Thank goodness it's Sunday, but I need my phone back for work tomorrow :)

brianjcohen

Reaction score
Okay I see that if I remove the microSD card from the device I can get into HBOOT with power+voldown without incurring an update loop, so far so good. However when I'm in HBOOT and I try to flash the kernel from my PC (using Hasoon2000's HTC Rezound All-In-One Kit), adb is coming up with a "device not found." What do you guys think?

brianjcohen

Reaction score
Okay, I think I got this fixed now. The problem seems to be that not all 'fastboot' binaries are created equal. I remember running into this back when I first unlocked and rooted my Rezound. When I went back to the folder on my PC containing the files I'd used to successfully unlock and root, I used the fastboot.exe I found in there and to run 'fastboot flash boot \path\to\boot.img' (where boot.img was extracted from the PH98* zipfile from scottsroms.com in the stock rom file dated 1/27) and it flashed okay. Rebooted and all is well. Thinking the next step is to just remove the PH98* file off the SD card now, since that belongs to CleanRom ?