Market vanished on upgrade to 5.0.8

papy72

Reaction score
Not sure what happened but when I went from 5.0.7.1 to 5.0.8 my Android Market disappeared.

Any idea what might have happened? I rolled back to a backup of my 5.0.7.1 and the market reappeared.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
When you installed did you check the box for "install google apps" since that is where the market app is located? (assuming you used Rom Manger to install).

OP
papy72

papy72

Reaction score
When you installed did you check the box for "install google apps" since that is where the market app is located? (assuming you used Rom Manger to install).
I did use ROM Manager, but I did not install the google apps. Since I installed those when I loaded 5.0.7.1, and I didn't wipe the phone this time, I figured they would be there.

I'm kind of surprised that the Market is an "optional" install with the ROM.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did use ROM Manager, but I did not install the google apps. Since I installed those when I loaded 5.0.7.1, and I didn't wipe the phone this time, I figured they would be there.

I'm kind of surprised that the Market is an "optional" install with the ROM.

You need to check that google apps box every time, even when upgrading and not wiping data+cache.

The Google Apps are a separate download due to legal reasons, "back in the day" cyanogen received a C&D from google, this was the compromise.

OP
papy72

papy72

Reaction score
Hmm, ok, good to know.

Thanks.

PDR447

Reaction score
separate google apps(market, gmail, etc.) is the only legal way to distribute. technically google apps shouldn't be distributed at all... that's why they're hosted on sites like mediafire instead of "real" mirrors. all these other roms out there are illegal and those distributing them could be sued. cyanogen is just the only one that's big enough to get google's attention.