Market issues

tyroniousdex

Reaction score
Is there something that i can do to increase the success of my market downloads. They download but won't install. I sometimes have to cancel and re download alot. This does not guarantee me success. Is it a Froyo issue or a settings issue. I have had this issue with every Froyo Rom that i have flashed. Is there a fix?

jbrtzfldr

Reaction score
It's a Froyo thing. The market has been having tons of issues for everyone.

Today, it's not letting me update SNesoid. When it tries to install, my phone reboots. It has happened with SS 4.7 and Sapphire 1.0. Frustrating.

cvhovey

Reaction score
Same here. Since the Froyo leak first became available, I've used various ROMs and repeatedly have seen Market issues, so I don't believe Sapphire is the cause. Another thing I've noticed since using Froyo ROMs is that occasionally I'll find some downloadfile.apk, downloadfile-1.apk, downloadfile-2.apk files left sitting in the sdcard's /download folder which coincide to Market updates ... more commonly when an install failed to initiate. So I'm occasionally using Root Explorer to delete those files, then do wipe cache and/or data for Download Manager and Market. Usually right after doing that, Market will work fine, but then crap out sometime later until I clear things out.

Hashi

Reaction score
I had a pretty solid 10 days (about 3 weeks back) of a combination of these 2 things occurring simultaneously:

1. Market downloads hanging.
  2. Gmail unable to send from primary account.
I would have had a good logfile (using alogcat from the market) if I'd been able to get past Bugzilla's SQL bug of the moment, but by the time I filed the bug, I couldn't reproduce it and get a decent log file.

It definitely wasn't a coincidence, because I could go to applications and clear the data of gmail, and it would fix both problems (after gmail repopulated). I'm not recommending that.

What would be nice is that since I can no longer replicate this problem, is if any of you who can, would use 'alogcat' (or logcat from a term) to put a log file into this bug I filed in bugzilla : Bug 185 – Gmail won't send and at the same time, market won't show downloads (connected)

Probably best to only use Bugzilla bug 185 if you can tie together market problems with gmail or else it isn't the one I wrote up. Today I recommended that bug be closed since I couldn't replicate it any longer, but you guys could help with it if it's similar.

OP
tyroniousdex

tyroniousdex

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I too noticed an accumulation of junk files sitting on my SD card. I will start there.

Bdog

Reaction score
I've had the same problems with market. One especially stands out. One particular app, after an update, will hang in the downloading section. Upon trying to cancel the download to restart it, my market FCs and goes back to the market home page. I've uninstalled the app, but can't go into the market in any way (not even through AppBrain) to reinstall because it's still hanging there.. anyone know how on earth to fix this?

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
sadly this is a problem with the apps not the rom itself, but please like was mentioned above get us logcats and file bugs(please search so as not to have a million duplicates of the same thing) in bugzilla and attach the log to the bug so that we can make doubly sure that wew aren't missing something in the rom as well, that is causing the apps to behave like this.

since we(cvpcs, me bgill and mayh3m) aren't having these issues we can't run logcats to capture the problem in text so that we can deduce the problem and fix it (if able), we depend on our users to provide us with the information we need to be able to properly try and solve any problems with the rom.

without the logcat to give us some direction to look, it's like telling someone in south america that speaks some form of spanish to drive to canada in english, and handing them a set of keys to a new car... they will never get there and the bug will never get fixed.

litso

Reaction score
This is kind of an uneducated guess, but it seems to me like the market problems are stemming from the android fragmentation situation. Too many system versions, in addition all the custom ROMs. There are just so many minute variations that sum up to cause issues. Hopefully these issues will work themselves out in future versions. Its easy to forget that Android is still in its relative infancy as a platform. The rate of innovation within this platform is almost mind numbing compared to the competition. BlackBerry OS, which has been around for YEARS only just hit v6.0. iOS which was out maybe 3 years before Android just hit v4.0. We'll be seeing Android 3.0 this year if the rumors hold true, and we've had 'minor' updates that are more significant that other OS's major updates in between. 1.5->1.6, 2.0->2.1->2.2. Most of these might have been considered major version changes in other platforms.