Maps navigation voice - any way to change it?

psuturtle

Reaction score
On my Lincoln w sync, the nav voice volume has its own setting, or did you mean the phones nav?

I meant the phone's navigation. Gonna give volume+ a try and see if it helps. Might try Ivona while I'm at it.

madspeed

Reaction score
I have V+ and didnt see any settings specific to the nav, but give it a try!

kmo

Reaction score
Thanks for the "clear the cache" advice on Maps/Navigation, it worked.... finally got this to show up in Google Navigation voice, and to all those saying follow the directions, I did that several times. It's the cache (in my case that was the culprit.) This was an exercise in frustration...ha. :p

mtnbikenc

Reaction score
Got it working

This is the one tip that made it all work for me:

Google Navigation requires that the Text-to-Speech voice matches the phone language. You can change the phone language in Android Settings -> Language & keyboard -> Select language

(this text is from the SVOX market page)

I'm using Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the US and had my System set to English (United States) but wanted to use the Amy (UK) voice from Ivona. Everything I tried would not work to get Amy as the voice for Navigation, I would still hear Kendra (US), even after Kendra was uninstalled(?!). Changing the System language to English (United Kingdom) allowed the Amy (UK) Ivona voice to work for me.

I also hate the new voice. I was surprised to see people actually like it. To me it sounds like a nasally old lady that is unsure of herself. Not the kind of voice I want to have giving me directions.

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score
This is the one tip that made it all work for me:

Google Navigation requires that the Text-to-Speech voice matches the phone language. You can change the phone language in Android Settings -> Language & keyboard -> Select language

(this text is from the SVOX market page)

I'm using Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the US and had my System set to English (United States) but wanted to use the Amy (UK) voice from Ivona. Everything I tried would not work to get Amy as the voice for Navigation, I would still hear Kendra (US), even after Kendra was uninstalled(?!). Changing the System language to English (United Kingdom) allowed the Amy (UK) Ivona voice to work for me.

I also hate the new voice. I was surprised to see people actually like it. To me it sounds like a nasally old lady that is unsure of herself. Not the kind of voice I want to have giving me directions.

Kendra just didn't want to leave eh despite being uninstalled? lol :D Thanks for the heads up. I have been using Kendra and hadn't tried any of the others with Navigation.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
The new voice sounds like an old lady trying to sound seductive. A little creepy if you ask me, but much more realistic than the OG.

My friend had a GPS device in his car that he could download voice packs for. His favorite was the Mr. T voice.

"In 300 yards, you better turn left FOOL."

"I pity the fool who doesn't turn right here!"

i dont like your sig!!!!!!! LOL

madspeed

Reaction score
Follow the instruction above, I changed the text output to English UK, then selected ivona. Amy voice works for all speech output, just tested on nav!! Sexy

madspeed

Reaction score
ivona will not work for me....at all...google maps will not use it

Try this:

1 setting/apps/all then find maps and clear cache.
2 Then go to settings/language & input and change to english (United Kingdom)
3 settings/language & input/text-to-speech output and select Ivona as the preferred engine

you will need to have Ivona app on your phone, as well as any voices you want. I love the UK Amy BTW

Hope this helps!

prowler85

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I got mine to work, but the language selected on your phone and the Ivona language have to be the same. So in the above instructions, that will only work if you pick a UK voice. I went with Nicole (Aussie), so you have to set your phone to English (AU).

Ivona needs to fix this. Shouldn't have to tell my phone I'm Australian to get one of their voices to work.

madspeed

Reaction score
So true. I use the UK voice and now anytime I see a dollar sign it the £ instead of the $

mtnbikenc

Reaction score
From what I understand, it is not Ivona that is the problem with choosing voices that are not based on System languages. The issue is that the Google Navigation app only goes with the System language defined. They do not allow choosing alternate languages within the app. Other apps I have allow me to choose language independently, or use "System Default".

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Heads up, changing the phone language to get the UK voice to work was fine for Navigation. But it made my banking app quit working. Since I broke one screen and had it repaired I have two phones, on one the bank's app worked, on the other it did not so tracking down the difference led me to Ivona and the default language for the phone. Once back to English US the app worked fine.