Maps navigation voice - any way to change it?

Amberite

Reaction score
I come from the OG Droid, and I gotta say that phone had a great voice for Google Maps Navigation. It didn't sound too synthesized and it was pretty pleasant to listen to. The voice on the GN is pretty horrible. Every time I hear it I am reminded very clearly that it's a computer that is talking to me.

Is there any way to change the voice that navigation uses? Any way to go back to my OG voice? :)

captdroid

Reaction score
I come from the OG Droid, and I gotta say that phone had a great voice for Google Maps Navigation. It didn't sound too synthesized and it was pretty pleasant to listen to. The voice on the GN is pretty horrible. Every time I hear it I am reminded very clearly that it's a computer that is talking to me.

Is there any way to change the voice that navigation uses? Any way to go back to my OG voice? :)

I actually think the 'new' Google Maps Navigation voice sounds better. Don't think you can change it. At least there was no way to change it on the D1 AFAIK.

OP
A

Amberite

Reaction score

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's just crazy, the og voice was about as robotic as it comes. The Nexus text to speech is light years better in my opinion.

1quickv6

Reaction score
Once you download and install Ivona and download the voice pack you want, go into your settings under Language and Input, then Text-to-speech output and select it as your default. Then any software that uses speech will use the voice you selected. And it's permanent until you change it. Now, keep in ind, Ivona is free until the Beta period is over and you will have to pay for it.

sbenson, I agree that the Nexus speech has come a long way and will only get better. I was just giving the OP a viable option because he asked for it. Oh, and be sure to check out the Salli voice. It's AWESOME!!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once you download and install Ivona and download the voice pack you want, go into your settings under Language and Input, then Text-to-speech output and select it as your default. Then any software that uses speech will use the voice you selected. And it's permanent until you change it. Now, keep in ind, Ivona is free until the Beta period is over and you will have to pay for it.

sbenson, I agree that the Nexus speech has come a long way and will only get better. I was just giving the OP a viable option because he asked for it. Oh, and be sure to check out the Salli voice. It's AWESOME!!

No, I gotcha. I was just saying the stock voice on the og is utter crap compared to the stock voice on the Nexus. As far as aftermarket, you're right, you're not going to find anything much better than Ivona - it's pretty great.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Wow... I actually prefer the new voice and I think it sounds much better.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Those who think the stock voice on the nexus is crap, have you played with the speech rate? Speeding it up makes it sound less robotic and slowing it down makes it seem, well...crappy.

My opine is worth what I charged you for it.

Nate

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those who think the stock voice on the nexus is crap, have you played with the speech rate? Speeding it up makes it sound less robotic and slowing it down makes it seem, well...crappy.

My opine is worth what I charged you for it.

Nate

Yeah, and changing it to British sounds good as well. Also changes it to a male voice.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Oh, and be sure to check out the Salli voice. It's AWESOME!!

Indeed it is! BUT it's not available for Android yet, making me a saaaaaad panda :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pushdrops

Reaction score
I find the Droid and Razr (both using the older txt to speech setup) sound better than the GNex, possibly this is due to the fact that the GNex speaker is so weak and thin ....

(it's difficult to hear Navigation directions via the GNex while driving , an external speaker is definitely needed due to the weak speaker).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have not cared about anything people thought was a deal beaker thus far. No sd card, plastic case, bad battery, poor reception at al. I dont care about any of that stuff, BUT this voice, i swear to god i thought about taking it back the first second i heard it. lmao. I couldnt ever do that to my nexus but the voice is sooooooooooo terrible. I joked that it could be worse if and only if a person with a tracheotomy did the recording. woof. i would gladly pay 50 bucks for the mentioned voice apps if they made it sound like the OG; thats how strongly i feel about it. lol

Last edited: