Maps GPS Widgit showing wrong location

dragon37

Reaction score
Every time I use the Maps GPS widgit, "My Location" is always incorrect. It seems to be off by nearly a 1/2 mile almost every time. I don't expect 100% accuracy, but that is pretty far off. Any known bugs and fixes?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is it off using GPS or AGPS?

OP
D

dragon37

Reaction score
I am not sure of the difference, nor how to set it either way.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
GPS is using Satellites for a fix...Spot on!
AGPS uses cell Towers.....Can be off a few thousand meters...

Settings>>Location & Security>> Check use wireless Networks and GPS Satellites

OP
D

dragon37

Reaction score
Thanks. fixed settings & have both checked now.

Jeffrey520

Reaction score
Wrong continent using AGPS and GPS settings

...with a slightly different location problem.

I am in Houston, TX at the Bush Intercontinental Airport. My location on the phone is Paris, France (not even Paris, TX!). They speak English here with a slight Texas drawl! I don't think Verizon's CDMA Droid works well in France. I have turned the GPS on and off, pulled out the battery, but my Droid still thinks that I am in Paris (a longer flight to my destination). Google Maps locates me Centre Ville, Paris, and the temperature in Paris is 28 degrees Fahrenheit. I have had this Droid since November and am up to date with 2.0.1, and the new Google Maps.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I had a problem with MY LOCATION being off. I shutdown my DROID and pulled the battery which fixed it.

Jeffrey520

Reaction score
Yes, I have done that, as well as verifying and toggling the location settings. Amusingly, Google Buzz is active in Paris. I am unable to get driving directions from my Paris "location" to one nearby here at IAH. I have been in touch with Verizon and repeated the same troubleshooting steps I have already taken. Location is active, but this Droid insists that I am in Paris. My roaming (*228) has been refreshed.

Jeffrey520

Reaction score
Incorrect location using wireless network

So here is what has transpired. Regarding my earlier posts, I was indoors in a Houston airport lounge with location-based services working fine all week until I arrived at IAH, and my Droid "located" me in Paris, France. I finally boarded my plane and I had a window seat, so I was able to confirm that satellite-based GPS accurately locates me, and that there is some issue with wireless network-based location. The wireless network-based location even over-rode the correct GPS satellite location (when both wireless and satellite location checked) when seated in my window seat to acquire GPS satellites. I finally landed at my destination, and initially my Droid reported that I was in Paris, France again. The network mode then eventually refreshed and accurately placed me at my destination. I am concerned about the unreliability of the wireless network based location services (wrong continent!!), and the inability to quickly resolve it. Hopefully, this will be addressed in future updates.