Major Issue with Droid X, New Member

Dj Matt$

Reaction score
Hello All. I've had my Droid X since September. I love the phone but as of late I've wanted to throw it against the wall. My 3g coverage is seriously lacking, the phone reboots all by itself, I could be text messaging a person & it will send one text message but then get hung up & not send another. I have to reboot, pull the battery and hope it will then send it. I use PDA net to tether the internet to my laptop, I hook it up correctly and now the whole time as I'm trying to use it, the connection is getting lost because I have no 3g coverage. The phone gets hung up from time to time or gets very sluggish. Anyone else having these same issues. Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, before we start throwing our Droids at the wall, let's do the Droids basics bit.

Are you running any virus protection or task killers? If so remove them. Virus protection alone is enough of a resource hog that just doing this may be all you need.

Are you rooted? If you are purchase CacheMate and clean out all your apps caches. If not get another cache cleaner from the Market and do your apps individually.

If that doesn't help, and it might not then you have two choices. You can try rooting and installing a custom ROM, or you can simply do a Factory Data Reset out of the privacy section of your settings. Doing this will cause you to lose data and any apps you have, but your paid apps will be in the Market and will download when you sign back in. I'm hearing from many people that the unpaid apps are now also recovering, but that I can't guarantee, you may have to install those individually.

If you do these things your X should be running like new. Good luck.

OP
Dj Matt$

Dj Matt$

Reaction score
Nope, definitely not using any virus or task killers. It's not rooted, that would void my warranty from Verizon.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, definitely not using any virus or task killers. It's not rooted, that would void my warranty from Verizon.
Then do the Factory Data Reset. That is the one thing I'm sure will fix this issue for you, I don't believe that simply uninstalling and reinstalling all your apps will help. This will clean up everything for you and have your X just like you got it day 1. It's a bit of a pain but once you do this if you do regular maintenance you shouldn't have anymore issues.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Ignore that other guy I have been runing lookout on my phone since I got it. So try mine first then you can try his idea

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

That's not very good advice, let the OP decide who he listens to. I'd take hookbill's advice over many others on this forum, I think he is on the right track.

Directly from a D2

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I agree with hookbill. He's very knowledgeable.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

wmedina1991

Reaction score
go for the reset and that should handle your issues. Thats what I did when I ran into some of those issues.

never really felt need for virus protection for my phone. I always felt that if you avoided shady sites and shady apps you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Let us know what you do to solve issue.

P.S. If your worried about voiding warranty dont install custom rom or root. that voids the heck out your contract. lol

Gene Hirschman

Reaction score
I'm really not qualified to offer advice....I'm still grasping every piece of info I can get so I can become more proficient using the Droid X. But something that I learned that might fit into a solution to your problem is: Make sure that the USB cable if plugged directly into the computer. Don't use a slave USB connection with PDAnet. I did and it kept dropping out and rebooting, somewhat as you described. Somewhere I read this advice and it completely cured my problem.

scf

Reaction score
If you are still under warranty, maybe even insurance, why not take it back to VZW and state your case? Maybe get a new DX out of the conversation.